AXSLIB-L March 2003

MINORITY LIBRARIAN RESIDENT

Michael Yared <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:19:07 -0500

From :   <[log in to unmask]>
To :   <[log in to unmask]>
Subject :   Re: MINORITY LIBRARIAN RESIDENT
Date :   Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:40:13 -0500 (EST)

Mr. Yared, eligibility for this program is based on racial/ethnic
diversity. -- Barbara Dewey

>Ms. Dewey, are people with disabilities eligible for the minority
>librarian  residency program? Or is there a difference between people
>with disabilities  who are white and people with disabilities from
>racial/ethnic background?
>
>Thank you.
>Mike Yared, MLS The Catholic University, '96.
>

>THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE LIBRARIES
>
>Announcement of Two Professional Vacancies: MINORITY LIBRARIAN RESIDENT The
>University of Tennessee Libraries is seeking two enthusiastic and creative
>candidates for a two-year Minority Librarian Residency Program. The
>purpose of the program is to attract recent library school graduates from
>underrepresented groups to a challenging and rewarding career in academic
>librarianship. Successful candidates will serve as residents for two years
>and may be eligible for permanent employment as faculty upon completion of
>the program. Residents will be expected to do the following: work closely
>with librarians to develop skills and career plans, develop collegial
>relationships with faculty outside the library, participate in library
>committees, and become involved with professional associations. In
>addition, the candidates will receive guidance from a mentor with the goal
>of  completing a specialized project during the second year of their
>residency. Each resident will select several areas of the library in which
>he/she will work and take part in a variety of initiatives and projects.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Appointment as non-tenure track Instructor at a
minimum salary of $40,000. There is financial support for attending
conferences, seminars, and workshops. Relocation assistance will be
provided. Excellent  benefits include 24 annual leave days; choice of
state retirement plan or TIAA/CREF with nonrefundable contributions
paid for the employee by the University; optional group health and life
insurance plans. Tuition remission is available for all university
employees and partial undergraduate tuition remission is available to
dependent children and spouses of UT employees.
QUALIFICATIONS: REQUIRED: A recent graduate degree from an ALA
accredited  master's program; member of historically underrepresented
group; must have authorization to work in the U.S. Ability to work
effectively in a team environment; excellent oral and written
communication skills; demonstrated interest in scholarship and
professional growth; strong service orientation; knowledge of issues
and development in academic libraries. For a complete  description of
the program and application procedures see
http://www.lib.utk.edu/~lss/search/minor.html.
A NOTE FROM THE DEAN OF UT LIBRARIES:
The University of Tennessee and the Libraries are deeply committed to
diversity in all regards. The Librariesí Diversity Committee plays a
leadership role on campus to promote diversity through various programs
and initiatives. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you or others
have  questions. I will be pleased to talk to interested people
directly. Sincerely,
Barbara I. Dewey, Dean of Libraries
865 974-4127
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA
institution in the provision of its education and employment programs
and  services.