AXSLIB-L October 2002

Re: Library Technology Access grant

"Audrey J. Gorman" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:40:51 -0600

Chris,

Congratulations to the I. D. Weeks Library and the University of South
Dakota!

What kind and scope of training on the hardware and software is being
provided to participants? By whom? The material I've seen thus far hasn't
been clear about this aspect of the initiative. Do you get to choose what
software you'll get? I have many more questions, but I'll leave it at that
for now.

When I was at ALA, I wrote a document on accessible library workstations
that can be found on the ASCLA web site at
http://www.ala.org/ascla/pdf/access_libr_workstation.doc This is the Word
version; it's also there in PDF.

I think that the ASCLA-HP effort is wonderful. Anything else any of us can
do to bring assistive technology into the mainstream of library services in
all types of libraries is to be encouraged. Special thanks and recognition
should go to libraries who have been leading the way. I can't begin to do
an exhaustive list here, but a few I can bring to mind right now are Cle
veland Public Library, San Francisco Public Library, the University of
Wisconsin, the University of Toronto, Louisville Public Library, Lee County
(FL) Public Library, Broward County (FL) Library, and the Brooklyn Public
Library. If I left your library out and you should be in this list, it's
due to iffy brain chemistry on my part. Please speak up and add to the
list!

For those of you who don't already know, I also originated the
Accessibility Pavilion at ALA Annual Conference and had the first exhibit
of integrated accessible workstations there in 2001. I'm now a consultant
and have developed an accessible library workstation package in
collaboration with Assistive Technologies, Inc. We showed it for the first
time in September at the Illinois Library Association Conference. For more
information, log on to my web site or theirs.

Best,
Audrey

Audrey J. Gorman
Access for All
Naperville, IL, USA

Mobile: 630-661-9062
Office: 630-717-7336
http://www.accessall.net
Log onto http://www.assistivetechnologies.com, click on library stuff!
"The power of the Web is in its universality.
Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect"
Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the WWW