C-PALSY  September 2002

C-PALSY September 2002

Re: peter singer again

Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:54:10 -0400

We have so many endangered species in this world, it's scary, and every time
we lose one to extinction, our ecosphere gets shifted.  It may not be
noticeable to us urban dwellers but it's very noticeable to biologists and
ecologists.  (I audited several biology courses when I was in grad school in
preparation for my Physical Anthropology thesis.)  And each time we import a
foreign species into an ecosystem, things go out of whack very fast. I can
give you the example of rabbits in Australia and the snake fish up in
Maryland, and the killer bees and the West Nile-carrying mosquitoes in the
US, as well as kudzu in the American Southeast.  The list goes on and on.

It will take time but eventually the shifts in the food chain will catch up
with us and we'll feel the effects - that is, if we don't nuke ourselves
first our starve ourselves due to famine or lack of drinkable water.  We're
already feeling the effects of salinisation in Israel, Africa and the SW
United States - where we're overirrigating the deserts and the water is
becoming saline.  And that's an ecological disaster.

But when someone likes Peter Singer ignores human rights in favour of animal
rights to the point of illogic, inanity, and silliness, I lose it.  One
example - when a group of animal rightists broke into a lab and released the
lab rats into the wild, I shook my head.  Those rats had never had been
shown how to survive or gather food or keep from being easy prey.  Not to
mention their fur wouldn't camouflage them adequately and thus made them
even easier prey.  So where's the quality of life in that?   Zero. Zip.
Nada.

Kat