From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 1994 02:49:30 EST

The CELIAC list is now two weeks old and we felt the time was right to send out
a general memo with a few housekeeping points.  As of Friday afternoon, there
were already 156 subscribers from 12 countries!:

*  Country        Subscribers
*  -------        -----------
*  Australia          2
*  Canada            14
*  Great Britain      9
*  Israel             1
*  Italy              2
*  Netherlands        1
*  New Zealand        4
*  South Africa       1
*  Sweden             1
*  Switzerland        1
*  USA              115
*  ???                5

There is a broad spectrum of people on the conference, including professionals
who are full time in the Celiac field, health care educators, confirmed and
probable Celiac patients and their families, and individuals who suspect that
they may have wheat or gluten allergies.  One of the great advantages of this
broad mix is that a wide variety of topics and opinions will be represented.
Please be tolerant if you see posts which are either too elementary or too
complex for your individual interests or needs.  It is especially helpful if
you put an accurate title on your post, so that others can easily gauge their
interest in it.  Also, while many of you are internet experts, there are also
many who have secured internet connections just for this conference, so let's
all be flexible and tolerant of our "newbees".

At present, two-thirds of our subscribers are from America.  While Celiac is
certainly an international disorder, the acquisition of food, food labeling and
product names often differ by country.  Please be aware of this when reading
posts, and always remember that anyone can contribute to the conference --
there is no guarantee that what you read will be accurate.

At present, there are four listowners.  We helped to organize the conference
and our role is to shepard the discussions along, and to assist with internet
errors and problems.  Mike Jones is a Celiac and the editor of the newsletter
_Celiac Action Line_.  Evan Hunt is the husband of a Celiac and the creator of
an internet mailing list which was the predecessor to this conference.  Lisa
Lewis and I are each parents of children with severe gluten intolerance (in
Lisa's case) and biopsy confirmed Celiac Sprue (in my case).

Our host is St. Johns University, which has generously provided the use of
their computer and telecommunications services for this conference.  They
support a number of conferences in the fields of health and development.

We already have a number of subscribers with a professional interest in Celiac
and/or gluten intolerance.  More are in the process of getting internet links
and will join soon.  I hope that each of the professionals already here will
send a post to the whole list within the next week introducing themselves and
their area of work.  If you are professional who would prefer to "lurk" (i.e.
just read) for now, you are welcome to send me a private email at
[log in to unmask] with a short note and I will put together a list and mail it
to each professional so that you can communicate.

The goal of this conference is to provide a forum for our mutual education and
expression.  We are here (in no particular order of importance)....

a) to learn more about the value of a gluten free diet and the latest research
on Celiac Disease, wheat intolerance, and related areas.

b) to learn more about how to maintain such a diet, including finding hidden
gluten in prepared foods, sources of gluten-free food, how to eat outside the
house without getting ill, recipes and cooking tips, etc., and

c)  to help each other cope with the daily pressures associated with gluten
intolerance and related physical, mental and developmental problems.

Mike Jones and Evan Hunt are working on a frequently asked questions (FAQ) file
which will be posted on the conference and available for downloading.  You will
see drafts of this and be asked to comment and make contributions /
corrections.  We also hope to maintain a file with the names, address and phone
numbers of the major Celiac associations worldwide.  If you live outside the US
and know your Celiac association, please email Mike at [log in to unmask] so he
can add it to his list.  Finally, we hope to eventually maintain a database of
food ingredients and whether they are known to be gluten free.  One serious
problem is that this information differs by country.

Enjoy the conference and invite your Celiac friends and professionals to join!

Bill Elkus
[log in to unmask] (main address)
[log in to unmask] (office address