From:
"K.A.W. • D.R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 09:27:05 -0800
Kenneth J. Kovler wrote:

> On a friend's desktop Dell pentium II system I tried using the "suspend"
> in windows 95. This caused the the dreaded blue screen to come up(some
> type of illegal operation) and to regain control of the computer I had to
> do press reset on the computer.
>  Question, I know this suspend function is to be used by laptops to put
> the compter into power saving mode. Why did't it work om this desktop? Are
> you supposed to setup something before you enable the suspend command?
> Anyone on the list had any success in using this function? Does it
> actually work on some computers?

Suspend works normally on our PB Desktop Pentium 166 w/OSR2.0, but check
this out:

"According to Microsoft, you may encounter one or more of the following
problems when using the universal serial bus (USB) driver in Windows 95
OEM
  Service Release (OSR) 2.1: hot-docking may not function
intermittentlly,
the timer-suspend function may not work properly, and the CPU clock
can't be
  stopped by power management software. Although an update that
addresses
these problems is now available, it has not been fully tested and
Microsoft does
  not recommend installing it at this time, unless absolutely
necessary."

Your Pentium II likely has USB, etc., but unfortunately Microsoft hadn't
released
a fix as of 12-19-97 (Check for latest at
http://www.microsoft.com/kb/default.asp)
David Ross
San Francisco

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]