GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 07:26:13 PDT
Gambia L,

The purpose of this write up is essentially two-fold:

Firstly, to inform you about my plans to produce/edit a directory containing
the names, contact addresses, occupations, publications, of as many
progressive Gambian scholars/intellectuals as possible.

The aim is for the directory to serve as a reference book, where students,
researchers, among others, can find the names and contact addresses of
active Gambian scholars/intellectuals - their different expertise and
research interests.

Secondly, I would be most grateful, if some of you could send me names and
contact addresses of progressive Gambian
scholars/intellectuals/international civil servants you may know, anywhere
in the world, at home and abroad.

However, before expounding on the idea, let me give you a backgrounder, so
that you can have a sense of what has given rise to the idea of publishing
such a directory.

                BACKGROUND

In June 1995, I was among a group of 13 "Young African Leaders", selected by
the US State Department, to study conflict resolution in the USA, in order
to help avert, or minimise, the many conflicts gripping the African
Continent.

As part of the programme, we had to meet with the then Secretary General of
the United Nations, Dr Boutros Boutros-Ghali, at his office in the UN
Headquarters in New York. And each member of the group was required to
introduce herself or himself to the then UN Secretary General.

Now, while other members of the group introduced themselves, the former
Secretary General never uttered a single word, but once I introduced myself
as a Gambian, the then Secretary General had to break his silence.

He interjected me by saying, among other things: "Oh! there are a few, but
very competent Gambian staff working for the UN system. In fact, some are
even based at the Secretariat here. Also, one of the assistant Secretary
Generals, Wali (Ndow) is from your country"...

When the then secretary General acknowledged the competence of his Gambian
Staff, I felt not only proud of myself in the midst of that group, but
thought about the idea of producing a directory, listing the names, contact
addresses, occupations, publications (if there are any) of as many
progressive Gambian intellectuals/international civil servants as possible.

Having been inspired by the remarks of the former Secretary General, I
thought, for posterity sake, it was necessary to document, in the form of a
directory, the names, contact addresses and works/materials/publications of
those active Gambian intellectuals/scholars in the UN and outside the UN,
who have been flying the flag of the Gambia high.

Of course, during this period, I was already aware of the immense
contributions scholars like Professor Sulayman Nyang, Professor Lamin
Sanneh, Dr Tijan Sallah, Dr Abdoulaye Saine and others, have been making to
the academic world.

Furthermore, while in the US, I visited the Washington DC studios of the
Voice Of America (VOA), and the first thing I was told by one of the
Executive Producers who received me was what a good political analyst Dr
Amadou Janneh was/is!

During the transition period, the VOA African Service used to contact Dr
Janneh for his perspective vis-a-vis political events in the Gambia.

Therefore, against this background, I then saw the need to author a
directory, to be titled "A Directory of Progressive Gambian Intellectuals",
which will serve as a reference book, where students, researchers etc can
find the names of our progressive intellectuals - their different expertise,
publications and research interests.

I became more determined to produce such a directory, when I visited the
Ivory Coast in November 1995, at a time when the African Development Bank
(ADB) was retrenching its staff.

Knowing that there were Gambian staff at the Bank, I requested for an
interview with the Bank's President, to find out whether Gambians were to be
redundant.

The President of the Bank was unable to grant me an interview, because he
had a busy schedule, but a spokesman of the Bank, speaking in an official
capacity, had told me: "Mr Ceesay, this retrenchment exercise is going to be
a massive one, but only two Gambian staff, Ebou Taal and M.L Auber, will be
affected, and this is due their age - they are over aged. For your
information, our Gambian staff are among the most competent staff of the
Bank"....

Prior to all this, to be precise in 1991, Senegal successfully hosted the
summit meeting of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC), at the
imposing Hotel Meridien in Ngor, Dakar, and every participant at the summit
was impressed with the efficient way and manner in which Senegal hosted this
big meeting.

But while the delegates were commending Senegal for the efficient way in
which it hosted the summit, the Senegalese government itself was praising a
Gambian staff of the OIC in Saudi Arabia, one Momodou Sosseh, for the
instrumental role he played in making sure that every thing was in place, so
that the hosting of the summit would be successful.

I later discovered that Momodou Sosseh was assigned by the OIC, with the
challenging task of the organisation and coordination of the Summit, and he,
of course, carried out the task with diligently and efficiency.

Should I forget the performance of Ebou Khan at the Summit. Of course, I
wouldn't. He is my star!! For those of you who do not know him, Ebou Khan, a
Gambian who once worked at the UN headquarters in New York and the OAU
secretariat in Ethiopia, is one the world's most competent and most
respected interpreters, when it comes to simultaneous interpretation from
French into English, on any subject.

Also, his friend and partner, Malick Sey, a Senegalese, is one of the best
interpreters in the world, when it comes to simultaneous interpretation from
English into French, again on any subject.

In fact, throughout the world, when the need arises for simultaneous
interpretation, from English into French or vice verse, of certain technical
subjects, or specialized areas, say, aeronautics, you have to acquire the
services of Ebou Khan and Malick Sey.

Also, I could still recall the standing ovation Halifa Sallah received at a
conference in Dakar, Senegal, in May 1996, for his "brilliant contributions"
to the meeting, which was hosted by former Senegalese Government minister
Gibou Ka and friends, and attended by renowned African scholars,
politicians, lawyers, journalists, professors etc.

Dr Ebrima Sall, I know you are a very humble person, but your contributions
to the academic world are also well noted by people like me. If the
Francophone world recognises you, then why shouldn't we do so? Dr Sall, also
a Gambian, is the Programme Officer for Academic Freedom, at the Dakar-based
Social science research Institute, CODESRIA. Sorry, if my comments offend
you.

Recently, at Ndey Jobarteh's wedding party, I met a Nigerian journalist, who
thought Peter Da Costa, a well known Gambian journalist, was/is one of the
best feature writers in world. Peter is now the Senior Communication adviser
at the UNECA office in Addis Ababa.

Just three day ago, I met an Australian Journalist, who is based at the UN
headquarters, and he was telling me how impressed he was with Baboucarr
Blaise Jagne's contributions to the UN security Council.

Here I must say that while I have my reservations about Ambassador Baboucarr
Blaise Jagne, I must acknowledge the fact that he is well read, and seen in
many quarters, especially within the francophone circles, as a seasoned
diplomat.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, Dr Tijan Sallah, a Gambian Economist with
the world Bank was in London last week, and we had a lenghty chat on the
phone, touching on number of subjects.

Among other things, Dr Sallah told me that Dr Siga Jagne, of the Women's
Bureau in the Gambia, had recently published a book; that he himself had
also published a book, some time ago, on the Wollof's proverbs, or something
of that nature.

He then mentioned how impressed he was with Dr Abdoulaye Saine's
presentation, during the Washington DC conference, which was held some time
ago. He also talked about Dr Saine's clarity, calmness etc.

Furthermore, he informed me that two more Gambians Dr Jabez Ayo Langley,
former Secretary General, and Dr Mohammed Kah, now teach at Howard
University in Washington DC.

It was at this point, that I told him that I once thought about the idea of
publishing a directory of progressive Gambian scholars/international civil
servants around the world, but had to abandon the idea, because of lack of
time to do the necessary research.

I then told Dr Sallah that following our conversation, I was again inspired
to revitalise, or revive the idea of publishing such a directory, now that I
have the time and facilities, to do the necessary research for such a
project. In reply, he thought the idea was fine.

Therefore, as I already stated at the onset, let me reiterate that the
purpose of this write up is to tell you about my plans to publish such a
directory, and also to seek information about names, addresses, publications
of those progressive Gambian scholars/intellectuals you may know, be they
those in the UN and other world bodies, those teaching in universities and
colleges, those in Gambian civil society etc.

I remember Dr Fatma Denton, telling me that when she was doing her doctorate
degree at the Centre of West African Studies, University of Birmingham, she
had to go to the Gambia for her research, but she said she was so impressed
with the depth of knowledge and clarity she discovered in people like TGG
Senghore, Abdou Njie and many ordinary Gambians.

Anyway, your comments are most well welcome!

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK.

PS: Sidibeh, Katim and others,

I am on record as having said that I would always welcome objective
criticisms. Your comments were very genuine and they are, of course, most
appreciated. In future, I'll be very careful with what I post to the L.
Normally, I do exercise a very good editorial judgement which would, in
fact, explain why I survived Jammeh's reign of terror, during the transition
period, despite my many critical BBC reports and commentaries.

In fact, I am tempted to comment, right now, on the sacking of Demba Jawo,
the news editor of the Daily Observer, but the good editorial judgement in
me is telling to wait until the dust is settled, so that I can be more
objective and fair.

Once again, let me repeat that I'll be very careful, in future, in terms of
what I send to the L.