C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jill Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:52:52 EDT
I am looking for information about the incidence of infection in tube fed
children  (GI tube), especially death rate and cause of death.  Can anyone
help with statistics or any data at all?

I am researching for a Mom (friend of mine) whose son died in November from
an infection related to his GI tube.  He was 17 years old, and had Cerebral
Palsy, and was a very healthy young man. He died quite suddenly, had been
gagging a bit and was 'not totally himself', but otherwise fine.  He had no
fever.  He suddenly went into respiratory distress and lost consciousness
and never came out of it.  He died two weeks later.

Mom is searching for information.... if anyone knows anything about this
sort of thing, or can send in in the right direction, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jill Jacobs