GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 02:55:05 +0300
Saiks wrote:

>Your points are well noted.What came immediately in mind is what I believed
>you wanted to say but did no say it very clear,correct me if I am wrong.And
>that is the democratic rights that was fought for and won under the new
>colonial PPP regime is not only been rolled back but that the situation is
>getting worst.>

Well, the points you raised are quite huge but I will simply say that I hold
a different view. I see great differences between  the Human Rights records
of the present regime and those of former president Jawara. In my least
buoyant pessimistic(!)  moments I use to tell myself that the best thing
Jawara did for Gambia was to create the conditions that made possible the
rise of PDOIS!!!!! I consider the period from Independence to July 1994 to
constitute the length of our "Year Zero".

President Jammeh, in spite of his darkening Human Rights record, is also
doing the sort of things that will quicken his own doom - unless he learns
to ignore UDP propaganda, respects the Constitution in letter and spirit,
and concentrates on the task of nation-building.

Cheers,
Momodou S Sidibeh.