PCBUILD  September 2001

PCBUILD September 2001

Severe Startup Problems - Update

David Rezachek <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 23 Sep 2001 19:41:37 -1000

Severe Startup Problems - Update

After some troubleshooting, I was able to isolate the problem. In Safe
Mode I ran msconfig to get the System Configuration Utility. After many
troubleshooting steps, I selected Advanced and then selected Force
Compatibility Mode Disk Access.

I was then able to startup in the regular mode. My CDROM was still not
recognized.

Under System Properties/Device Manager/Standard Floppy Disk Controller
and Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo), I go the following message:

This device is either not present or not working properly, or does not
have all of the drivers installed (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device (I did, but the
existing driver was the most up-to-date).

In the Resources tab, no conflicts were present.

The appropriate drivers were present for both devices (hsflpo.pdr and
vmm32.vxd for the Standard Floppy Disk Controller and esdi_506.pdr and
vmm32.vxd for the Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo) (the devices on the
Secondary IDE Controller were removed, as was the Secondary IDE
Controller).

Under System Properties/Performance the following messages were present:

Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance.

Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

(Oddly enough, when I go to Control Panel/System Properties the Connect
to dialog box for Dial Up for my old ISP (I have Road Runner Cable
Internet Service now)!?)

Based on this information, I went to Microsoft's Article No. Q151911
(MS-DOS Compatibility Mode Problems with PCI IDE Controllers) and
Microsoft's Article No. Q130179 (Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility
Mode on Hard Disks)

According to Microsoft's Article No. Q151911, the stated CAUSE is:

This behavior can occur if the protected-mode driver for the hard disk
controller is not properly initialized when you start Windows. When this
occurs, a NOIDE value is placed in the registry which prevents Windows
from making future attempts to initialize the protected-mode driver.

The RESOLUTION is to:

1.  Click Start , click Run , type regedit in the Open box, and then
press ENTER.

2.  Locate and click the following registry key:

           HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS

3.  In the right pane, right-click the NOIDE value, and then click
Delete .

4.  Quit Registry Editor.

I tried this, but there was no NOIDE entry in this path.

MORE INFORMATION

This issue can occur if your computer has an IDE controller that
requires serialization between the primary and secondary IDE channels.
The protected-mode drivers for these IDE controllers may not be
initialized if one of the following situations occurs:

If one IDE channel has a supported hard disk, and the second channel has
a CD-ROM or another type of drive that requires Real-mode drivers.
Because there must be serialization between the two IDE channels,
Windows cannot access the hard disk in Protected mode and use the other
device in Real mode. When this occurs, the Protected-mode driver is not
initialized and the NOIDE switch is placed in the registry to prevent
future errors. Both disk devices can then operate in Real mode.

      -or-

If you manually remove the driver for the IDE controller from Device
Manager and then reinstall it, or if you disable and then re-enable the
protected-mode driver. Some PCI controller drivers are not designed for
dynamic enabling and disabling, and can cause the Protected-mode driver
to not initialize properly.

The Windows device drivers for the following controllers may cause this
behavior:

      CMD PCI-0640 PCI-IDE controller
      Standard Dual PCI-IDE controller
      Opti Dual PCI-IDE controller
      Intel 82371 AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller (This is present)
      Ali M5229 PCI Busmaster IDE Controller

Other PCI IDE controllers that use serialization between the IDE
channels may also cause this behavior.

Can anybody provide additional information on how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance,

David Rezachek

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml