EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS August 2001

Re: Hardgainer Booklet

K M Ma <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:01:43 -0400

I realize after scanning my e-mail that Edith was extending the tone set
by Keith in his introduction of the pdf.

To be fair to McRoberts, I think his free pdf should be construed as a
clever piece of sensationalistic marketing targeted at specific
audiences.  Remember, it's calculated marketing and it is free.  Almost
by definition, it is spam.  Not all spam is useless.  For the person in
the wrong reality tunnel, it could serve as quite an awakening.  Perhaps
we're fortunate here if we find his pitch a bit too obvious.  In the
end, the real value of that spam was its inducement for me to
investigate his writing.  I believe I mentioned his books on this list
many months ago.

On any weightlifting program, you would benefit from his "Techniques"
book.  I think that, more than his Hardgainer philosophies or related
books, is his unique contribution to bodybuilding education.  His
instruction on squats alone spans several pages (eight?).

Imagine my anxiety last year when I started lifting seriously for the
first time.  How do I lift these heavy weights without hurting myself?
Who is going to teach me to squat or deadlift *properly*?  Friend?
Stranger?  Trainer?

McRoberts' "Techniques" book was a knowledgeable friend in my moment of
need.

As for the rest of his ideas, you could probably assemble it for free
from http://www.cyberpump.com.  You'll find a mini-recommendation of his
Techniques book somewhere in the archives.

Squats and deadlifts are serious business.  Please learn to do them
properly, if you select those exercises for your personal regime.

-M