PCBUILD  July 2001

PCBUILD July 2001

Re: Short Circuit ? Perhaps or mobo gone south.

Jerry Marcus <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Jul 2001 10:27:28 -0400

Did you install the new drive with a second controller card?  If so the
card my have gone bad.  Try pulling the card out and seeing if this
resolves the issue.

The Bios issue may be a  dying battery or the machine rec'd a power surge.

Jerry

>Sorry for the length of this email.
>
>Okay this one has me stumped and I may need to take it for a third
>opinion, second opinion comes from the list :-)
>
>I have a PC that I built myself about 2 years ago. It has an ASUS P2-99
>mobo. I bought (accumulated) a new for me, but old P166 PC that I decided
>to network with my main PC. I also bought a new 40Gb hard drive and a
>promise ultra66 ide controller card.
>
>I have 4 working hard drives. One of them a Seagate 2Gb and the rest are
>all Western Digital and IDE devices - all different sizes.
>
>Since I bought the 40Gb drive, I've been trying to figure out the best
>installation for me (ie which drive into which machine). In doing this,
>I've been reformatting, the drives (except one with data on it).
>
>I do not use the power button at all and have preferred using key
>combinations on the keyboard to power up my machine. I always leave my PC
>powered down during the day or when I'm not working on them.
>
>The last 2 weeks, we our normal winter storms bashing our city (Cape Town,
>South Africa). Sun been shining again this week - yay.
>
>The problem is, one day last week, when I got home, I noticed that my PC
>was powered up. So I logged onto Windows and noticed that the time was
>strange. On closer inspection, I saw that the date had been changed to
>1996. Which suggested to me that the BIOS had been reset. I changed the
>BIOS setting and everything appeared to be fine. The rest of the details
>are a bit fuzzy, because I can't remember the order of things and I can't
>remember if I actually logged onto the Internet that night. I can't even
>remember if I changed any drives around that night.
>
>Anyway, at the same time, we had a problem with our phone line that the
>telco's techies needed to sort out. The techie suggested to me (quite a
>humerous suggestion to me) that the problem was that my modem (which was
>switched off during above episode with the BIOS). He suggested that the
>modem caused a short circuit that brought my telepone service down. At the
>time I laughed at the suggestion, but then I started wondering if above
>episode above with the BIOS and this episode could be related.
>
>This is now especially important knowledge, because my mobo, now does not
>want to recognise any one of my hard drives correctly on the Primary
>controller on the mobo. The secondary controller does read the drives
>correctly.
>
>The problem is I can't get Windows (or Linux for that matter) installed on
>my other PC.
>
>My feeling is the mobo's power has gone awry somewhere. Can anyone back up
>my suspicions or suggest any other alternatives. Or suggest something that
>I have not thought of. (I think I've tried everything in the book and few
>tricks that are not).
>
>Cheers
>Brendon
>
>             Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
> [...]

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am
so far behind I will live forever.