GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:14:19 PDT
Bamba,

I do agree with you that Kenneth Best is a businessman like any other
businessperson. He owes the paper and he deceided to sell it without any
considerations of the repercussion it will have to his staff. These people who
did all they can to maintain the paper in his absence.
My only problem is that the staff at Daily Observer should have seen this
coming, the government cannot stand freedom of press. THe selling of the Daily
Observer is not a suprise to me only that it came sooner than expected. I
expected that the Staff would have already made an alternative move i:e
looking coming together and getting their own news papers. These are skilled
and talented people in their own rights. Maybe my expectations of them are too
high but i believe that as intellectuals or what ever we call ourselves, we
should be ready to our responsibilities and be ready to deal with the
realities.

I just came back from "Meet the People Tour" in the provinces after the
President's "Meet the Farmers Tour". It has been very educating, updating
seating with people at the grass root level discusing with them the situation
of our country. You will get all these updates.

I just passed by the Marcathy Square with anger watching the school kids who
have been standing on this hot sun since three o'clock when I passed by wating
for the president to come and give his usual speeches.
I felt this is outrageous, these kids need to go home and eat their lauch. THe
worse thing is that the members of the AFPRC have gone to their office here at
the independence drive to eat their lauch but the school kids are sweating in
the heat. It is now 17:00hrs here and still the President has not shown up
yet. I have not yet known how much has been spent in this tour but hopefully
you will get that, cause it is a huge investment.

I am so happy here for the fact that I can see things for myself and talk to
the people as well as doing a reality check.

For the Total liberation of all Gambians

THe STruggle Continues!!!!
Ndey Jobarteh

"Yusupha A.K Ceesay" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello Haruna here is some of my responds to you topic. Please let accept
changes we need it and changes is not easy, there is always more no than
yes.  Let give our own brothers to try their chances action is louder than
voice.  I know that most of us talk too much and feel very confident about
our own opinion on matters without taking into consideration that to try and
move is better than to be stagnant.

My responses are in Caps and right after you question.

Hello G-L,

     I have been following the issues sent to the G-L from various opinions
     and found others interesting and others unnecessary.This is so because
     some people are just writing for the shake of having access to a PC
     but without enlightening the rest on important issues.Much debate has
     been leveled on the sale of the Daily Observer and its associated
     effects on its editorial independence and also on the recent
     appointments and deployment of Ambassadors to foreign countries.These
     are the issues raised among others which spark debates,arguments and
     in some others abusive languages to a fellow brother.

     I sometimes wonder what image are these people portraying being
     countrymen?
BE MORE SPECIFY ON THE IMAGE YOU TRYIING TO TALK ABOUT?

     The sale of the Daily Observer to Amadou Samba, a Gambian is indeed a
     welcome idea but was the vendor taking into account the implications
     behind the sale?
I THINK IT IS TOO EARLY TO SPECULATE, JUST BECAUSE CHANGES IN HAPPENING AND
NOT IN FAVOR OF SOME OF US DOES NOT MEAN THAT I S THE END OF THE GAME.

     Kenneth Y. Best, the Proprietor of the paper,who is a renowned
     journalist and for that matter encountering problems while in The
     GAmbia should be blamed for making this choice and not the new
     management who are right if they wish to sack all the efficient staffs
     of the Paper.
I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE BLAME YOU WANT TO PUT ON K BEST, LOOK BROTHER LETS
CALL A SPADE A SPADE.  THE MAN IS A BUSINESS MAN  SO WHAT DO YOU EXPECT, IF
A GOOD REWARD COMES IN ARE YOU GOING TO TURN IT DOWN.   THE WORD EFFICIENT
STAFF IS NOT AN EASY THING TO JUSTIFY, YOU AND I MAY THINK THEY ARE
EFFICIENT BUT REMEMBER THEY ARE WORKING FOR THE OWNERS AND THAT IS THE TRUTH
IN REAL LIFE.

     Should Mr. Best, not have conducted an opinion poll on the sale before
     taking the decision? Did he forget that since he was away these staffs
     dedicated their lives in ensuring the existence and independence of
     the paper? Did he not foresee the consequences?
WHY AN OPINION POLL IT IS NOT A CORPERATION IT IS OWN BY HIM AND HE HAVE THE
RIGHT TO GIVE IT AWAY FOR FREE TO ANYONE HE WISHESES.

YES THE STAFF DEDICATED THEIR LIVES BUT REMEMBER FOR WHO? YOU SHOULD ASK
YOUR SELF THAT QUESTION.  IS IT FOR Mr. BEST OF FOR THEIR OWN LIVING?

     These and other issues are the gist of the matter but not to put the
     blame to the new management for whatever change they deem necessary.

THANKS NOT MUCH TIME BUT I WILL GET BACK TO YOU ON THE REST OF YOUR TOPIC.

BRO YUS

     On the issue of progressive Gambians and intellectuals,it is high time
     for our intellectuals to prove their efficiency by contributing
     positively and progressively to emancipate the Gambians from
     selfishness and greed for wealth with their families. It is very sad
     that throughtout the whole period of my higher education in the
     Gambia,no Gambian intellectual taught me, it is thanks to the
     foreigners who are laying all the foundation. Why not progressive
     Gambians and intellectuals think of doing something productive for the
     Gambian population by either doing some projects back home that could
     contribute to the development of intellect. Can we not learn from
     Nigerian intellectuals fighting tooth and nail to ensure the survival
     of their nation in good or in bad times?

     We should try and use this opportunity to unify Gambians all over the
     world through this net rather than spreading hatred,insults and
     disunity in the eyes of the world. Let us educate one another on
     matters that are of interest to all and help those who are not in a
     position.

     Let us debate issues of national importance,then try to find out the
     problem and the solutions rather than entertaining abusive language
     for selfish interest or recognition.

     I wish to continue and elaborate more on this subject but due to lack
     of time I leave at this until next time.

     I hope I am not hurting anyone. Your comments are welcome.