From:
"Karen M. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 1994 06:18:02 -0800

> Two truly wonderful sources of gluten-free eating ideas are:
>
> The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook ("Over 325 natural foods recipes, free of
> wheat, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, sugar and other common food allergens" by
> Marjorie Hurt Jones, R.N., Rodale Press 1984.

Please note that YMMV with this book.  I found lots of recipes using
oats, and the few that were truly GF (especially the baked goods)
*vile*.  Too much emphasis on hard-to-obtain *and expensive* ingredients
(e.g. arrowroot flour, which runs $3-$4/lb in this area), which bake up
with a strange texture.

> The Yeast Connection Cookbook:A Guide to Good Nutrition and Better Health
> by William G. Crook, M.D. and Marjorie Hurt Jones, R.N., Professional Books,
> 1989.
>
> Since a lot of people with food allergies (overlapping with Candida
> overgrowth problems, hence the "yeast connection") feel best when they
> rotate foods, both these books include a lot of ideas for very simple
> meals. You won't have any problem finding recipes that exclude
> gluten-containing foods.
>
>                Peace, Cathy Flick  [log in to unmask]
>
> P.S. The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook also provides a lot of very useful
> information on how to actually prepare less common foods. Both contain
> mail-order sources of things you might not find in the local grocery
> store very easily.

I've had much better luck with Bette Hagman's books (the Gluten-Free
Gourmet series) and standard vegetarian and Indian (subcontinent)
cookbooks.  Laurel's Kitchen is a treasure trove of ideas, as are
(surprisingly) Jeff Smith's cookbooks (the Frugal Gourmet) and Lorna
Sass's books.  All of these folks use a *wide* range of commonly
available ingredients without falling back on the big 5 (wheat, corn,
milk, eggs, salt) excessively.

What do I use them for?

Bette Hagman: baking - breads, cakes and cookies, some casseroles, and
pizza recipes ;-)

Indian cookbooks: sweets and vegetables

Laurel's Kitchen: veggies, fruit desserts and GF quick bread recipes (she
only has a couple, but they're *good*)

Frugal Gourmet:  Check out the pumpkin recipes in the "American Cuisine"
book.  He has lots of ideas/recipes for main and side dishes that need
minimal (if any) adaptation (e.g. - Bragg's or tamari for soy sauce)

Lorna Sass's books: Lots of rice and bean recipes that need absolutely no
adaptation.  Her first book (Cooking under Pressure) has lots of meat
based main dishes that take less than 30 minutes start-to-finish using a
pressure cooker, using common GF ingredients, that taste *wonderful*
(e.g. a chicken-lentil-spinach-carrots and spice stew that is served over
rice).

Note that one of my criteria for cookbooks/recipes is that I can feed it
to the rest of my family without apology, and they have no need to eat
GF.  If I have to cook 2 meals to make something GF for me, something's
gonna give - I don't have the time or energy to cook separate meals!
I'll add purchased bread to their meal while I eat my homemade bread, but
that's about it!  When making pizza, for instance, I'll make my crust,
and use a purchased (Boboli) crust for others, but the toppings are one
big batch - I just throw 2 pizza pans in the oven ;-)

karen

[log in to unmask]   (if urgent, use [log in to unmask] - the better half)
Karen Davis of Davis and Associates (818)892-8555
           "Pain is Mother Nature's way of telling us to slow down;
                       Death is her way of INSISTING!"