PCBUILD  July 2000

PCBUILD July 2000

Re: BP6 + GeForce DDR + SB Live + Quake3 Lockups??

"Jose E. Dominguez" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 Jul 2000 01:39:55 -0400

Jeff McConnell wrote:

> I've been having some lock-up problems in Quake 3.  The video freezes and
> the sound stutters until I do a manual reset.  This happens randomly after
> playing for a while (anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes) under both
> Windows 2000 Professional and under Windows 98 SE.  I am NOT trying to run
> Quake3 with r_smp set to 1 under win2k.  Other than this problem in Quake3,
> the system runs very stable.

I don't quite understand what you mean here by r_smp 1 but....

> I think it may be an IRQ problem that only shows up when really pushing the
> system.  I do have ACPI enabled, and PnP OS set in the bios, with the IRQs
> assigned by the system.

Disable ACPI, PnP OS disabled, let the board assign the IRQs....

> This is very similar to the BE6-2 bios setup (with
> the ability to set IRQs for PIRQ), so maybe some of you guys (and gals,
> Mary) running other Abit motherboards can help.  I just haven't found much
> in the way of recommendations for what IRQ to assign to what PIRQ.
>
> I know I have 3 problem children in this system:  the Abit BP6 motherboard,
> a GeForce 256 DDR, and a SoundBlaster Live.  My complete configuration is as
> follows:

Should not be a problem if you let the board handle the IRQs, not the OS. I have
a very similar setup that runs perfectly at 550 and plays Quake without
problems. Same video card, Intel NIC on PCI 2, AWE 64 Gold last ISA, 2940U2W on
PCI 5.

> Abit BP6 (flashed to current RU Bios, was running the QQ Beta Bios)
> 2 Celeron 366s (not overclocked at this time, but normally stable at 550)
> 256MB PC 100 RAM (2 x 128MB)
>
> Guillemot Prophet GeForce 256 DDR-DVI (AGP)
> SoundBlaster Live! Value (PCI)
> 3com 3C905B 10/100 Network adapter (PCI) @ 10mbit on cable modem
>
> 2 IBM ATA 66 Hard Drives (currently on 33, seems fine on 66)

I would set these on the HPT 66, one on each controller. the HPT is grabbing the
IRQ whether you use it or not, might as well use it.

> Pioneer IDE DVD
> Memorex IDE CDRW

Set these one on each of the 33 controllers, this way all your transfers are
across controllers and will be faster.

> PS2 Keyboard (MS Natural Pro) with USB hub plugged in
> Microsoft Explorer USB Mouse (plugged into keyboards USB hub)

Try without the hub and see what happens.

> COM2 and LPT1 disabled in the bios.

You can enable there if you want, don't think that's the problem.

> If anyone has any suggestions on card arrangement and PIRQ assignments, I
> really think that might help.  The BP6 shares AGP + PCI1, PCI2 is by itself,
> PCI3 shares with ATA66, and PCI4 shares with PCI5.  I currently have the NIC
> on PCI2 and the SBlive on PCI4, but have tried them in the reverse
> configuration also, without any better luck.
>
> I also have a USRobotics 56K Faxmodem (ISA non-winmodem)

You can put this on the last ISA slot.

> and a WinTV PCI
> TV/Radio Tuner card,

These might be tricky but the sound card might allow sharing so PCI 4 might work
for it.

> but have them pulled right now.  Putting the TV tuner
> in PCI1 or PCI5 does not seem to effect anything.  I am running the Hard
> Drives as Slave and Master on the IDE1 (33) with the ATA66 disabled, but it
> has not helped.  The DVD is Master and CDRW is Slave on IDE2 (33).
>
> I do not believe it is a heat issue - I have large global-win heatsinks/fans
> on the CPUs, a PCI card cooler (the one with 2 waffle fans on a bracket,
> that blows across the PCI cards), front case fan blowing in, p/s and upper
> back case fan blowing out, an exhaust fan by the CPUs, plus a drive bay
> cooler.  The processors do not get above 90F, even when overclocked to 550,
> and the lockups happen regardless of overclocking.  The GeForce card is
> running at stock speeds.

Run it with the case open and that will eliminate the heat as a suspect.

> I have a 300W power supply, but it is just a generic one.  I have a
> (assumed) higher quality InWin 250W power supply that I will probably try
> using next.

I don't think it's the power supply, even though the video card is said to need
a lot of juice. I think the problems is you are letting the OS handled the IRQs
and not the board.

HTH,

Jose

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions