PCBUILD  July 2000

PCBUILD July 2000

Re: please need help with new drive

Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:39:16 -0700

Susan Stubbs wrote:

Hi, I need some advice about doing this project here.
I have 2 pcs. I have a third almost finished. What I need to
do here is to remove a secondary hard drive from my favorite pc
and use it in the new 3rd pc.

Tonight I moved all the files from
this 2nd drive onto the C:drive.

So far I don't see a  problem with this concept.

If I understand the situation correctly you have three systems. You want
to remove the information on Sys. 1 (favorite) drive "D" to Sys. 1 drive
"C" into folder "X". Then you want to take this "D" drive and put it
into Sys. 3 as the main or "C" drive. The new 13 GIG drive will become
the main drive in SYS. 1 with the existing "C" drive as a backup drive
or slave "D" drive. Is this correct so far?

I used the "move here" command,
and it took about 30 minutes but everything was moved to a folder
I had made on my C: drive.

Jun Qian wrote:

Short answer is no. You normaly cannot transfer pragram by simplely
"move"
from one harddisk to another. Todays program require a lot of registry
entries and dll files copied to system folders, copy/move application
folders won't transfer thoes components and registry entries. If you
want
transfter program, "you will need Partition Magic to do the job." This
part I'm not to sure about. It is my understanding that "Partition
Magic" is for setting up partitions on a hard drive. Drive copy may be
what Jun was thinking about but even this program, as good as it is, has
some limitations.

Jun is correct in his statement. If you have an OS on the drive and use
the "Move here" command, the only thing you will accomplished is moving
the contents of drive "D" to drive "C" folder "X". All of the
information in the "Registry" will still be where it is and all of the
programs you transfer will not work properly or at all. If on the other
hand all you're moving is data files and the like, there is no problem.
I run two drives in my system and the "D" drive holds my data files,
swap file and install programs. I have as the occasion necessitated,
moved the swap file back to the "C" drive and then moved everything else
to the "C" drive, formatted the "D" drive and put everything back. This
is very labor intensive to say the least and a burner surely would make
it easier.

 Now there is nothing left on the drive
I need but a recycled folder.

If there is nothing you need in the recycle bin, dump it. Do you really
need the trash?

 So I now have no problem removing this
drive and putting it into the new third pc.

So far I'm with you. No, at this point there doesn't seem to be a
problem. Set the jumper to "Master" plug it in, insert your "Boot
Disk"... You have one right? Then fire the new puppy up and see what
happens. Go to the DOS Prompt and format the drive and if needed or
wanted partition it. If all goes well, you will be on you're way. Please
understand that this may not be a cut and dry situation though. Murphy's
Law may come into play.

 What I would like to know is this: I have a  new13 gig drive I would
 like to put into my favorite pc. I would like to make it the new
C:drive,
and install win98SE onto it.

So far there is no problem.

Currently I have just win98.

This isn't a problem.

 Can I just set the jumper onto the current drive with all (very much)
major programs
and stuff on it, to slave, and then put this new drive in as the master,
fdisk and format it and put win98SE on it?

Yes you may. However, what I would do is work with the 13 GIG drive
first. Do all of the above first and then add the other drive as the
slave drive after you format, fdisk and install Windows 98 SE. Why?
There have been times that the Master drive wasn't set up properly and
when I installed windows, it chose the "D" drive and made it the "C"
drive taking all of the information with it. I have over the years lost
a lot of valuable information due to not paying attention. So, to avoid
this problem, I disconnect or disable the so called "D" drive especially
if it has an operating system on it and work with the new drive to
establish it with Windows 9X. After that I feel safe in activating the
other drive.

 Then as for the relegated
C:drive, with all my stuff on it, would those programs all have to be
reinstalled??? or would they still work from this drive now relegated to
D:drive???

<Smile> What has been rendered corrupt from the old "C" drive will still
be corrupt. Yes you can do this. I have a client that insisted that I
set her system up with all of her drives. All four of them virus laden
dogs. Yep 500 MB drives included. whew What a nightmare that was.

You will be able to access your programs but may experience problems in
the short cut area which you will have to set up. Some programs are
elusive and trying to find them and the "exe" portion is a trial and
error thing.

My suggestion would be re-install the programs. This way you will have a
clean base to work from. If problems arise, they are easier to fix. This
is what works for me.

I back up certain files using the Windows back-up utility. Files like
the address book for Netscape and IE. Anything I feel is important I
back it up. That way I install the program and transfer back to the
original position all of the important information. LOL If you have a
burner you have it made in the shade.

I don't know what else to add to this situation so I'm out of here.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

                     visit our download web page at: