C-PALSY  March 2000

C-PALSY March 2000

Letter to MN Gov. Ventura - Re: WORKFORCE CRISIS / TANF

"Paulsen & Company, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:48:38 -0500

Paulsen & Company
A Voice for Persons with Disabilities
(651) 455-3013  TDD 450-8733  Fax (651) 455-4630

Honorable Governor Jesse Ventura                        Via Fax:
130 State Capitol 75 Constitution Avenue                Date: 3/30/00
St. Paul, MN  55155                                     Re: WORKFORCE
CRISIS / TANF

Honorable Governor Jesse Ventura,

We are writing to give you praise and thanks for signing of the Work
Incentives legislation, this law went into effect July 99. Now today more
people with disabilities are returning to the job market and contributing
to Minnesota tax base.

The great state of Minnesota has an opportunity to utilize this
underestimated class of Minnesotans. People with disabilities have said if
I can return to the workforce and still retain my medical benefits, they
will. Over 2000 individuals have taken advantage of this law, reducing the
burden of all taxpayers. In a day of huge surpluses like 1.8 billion there
still continues to be a workforce crisis in the Healthcare industry.

We urge your support and signage of the cola increased for home health care
and other skilled nursing care. As you begin to look at curving government
spending and have, at the same time encouraging and promoting self
sufficiency members of the disability community would ask that you increase
the target limits in the Health and Human Services budget.

FYI:
WORKFORCE CRISIS:  The rally on Wed. was a success with favorable remarks
from legislators including Roger Moe.  In the Senate it is at 3% above the
3% projected in July and includes everyone, all across the board.  In the
House a one time 21 million dollars went in for nursing homes only,
Greenfield offered an amendment to do a 3% across the board (which kept in
tack the 5%) and this passed 65, 63.  Tim Abler made a motion to reconsider
the language and it came out 63, 65 and was not passed.  The rally was to
support building up the funding target for the Health & Human Services
Committee and three issues 1-COLA, 2-MA Income Standard 3-Prescription
Drugs.  The Governor has already stated no additional funding this session.
The COLA needs to be IMPLEMENTED NOW!

{Natl.}

We also have followed your attempt to shift dollars from the TANF reserve
to the needs of affable housing. However I commend you and your staff for
working on temporary solution on this increasing problem that many
Minnesota families face. We recognize the current problem in society
relating to affordable housing or just having a shelter to go to.

I suspect a hidden concern or problem may be ones rental or credit history.
Since landlords want to ensure a reliable tenant background checks and
rental histories are a must in todays housing industry. We would encourage
landlord / tenant training, which may resolve some of the hidden problems
both landlords and tenant faced.

In current news reports VIA television stated if we the state of Minnesota
does shift dollars from the TANF reserve we may be at risk of losing some
of our federal assistance to the state. I urge you to take another hard
look before reshaping Minnesota government on the backs of people in need.

I hope you find usefulness in my concerns as I continue to support you and
your administration. With your help together we will continue to represent
the needs of the disability community.

Sincerely,

Darrell Paulsen,  Disabilities Advocate since '94
Disabilities - Dis = abilities

cc: Pam Perri Weaver - Via Fax
     Citizen Outreach office of the Governor

P.S. it was wonderful visiting the residence during the press conference of
the Jade Foundation. Give my best to first lady Terry and family.

===============

Darrell Paulsen, Founder/CEO
Paulsen & Company, Inc.  Email us : MAILTO:[log in to unmask]
804 4th Street So.
South St. Paul, Minnesota 55075
(651) 455-3013 TDD (651) 554-3200

Surf out What's NEW on our Products Page
http://www.winternet.com/~disabled/product.html

And, don't forget to tell your friends and co-workers about
iGive and your favorite cause.  It's the easiest way to raise money!
Just have them go to http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=6653

(c)1996-2000 All material on this site is copyright protected.
Revised by : Ray Manning 3rd of Paulsen & Company.
This message posted by Paulsen and Co a non-profit disability awareness
organization.  For more information about us please check out our
website at:   http://www.winternet.com/~disabled/  [The Opinions And
Views Discussed Above Are Those Of The Writers, And Not Necessarily
Supported By The Groups Or Organizations Mention Above.]

Our postings are meant for informational purposes only. Individuals or
organizations wishing to be removed may request by submitting an EMail. We
honor all removal requests, due to a large list(s) and third party contacts
we ask for a ten business day policy. This allows for verification and the
removal from our multiple lists that  Paulsen and Company
and/or members of said lists manage, subscribe to, or otherwise maintain.

     DISABLED & VOTES !!! DISABLED & VOTES !!! DISABLED & VOTES !!!