C-PALSY  March 2000

C-PALSY March 2000

Re: Questions about IEPs

Dina Dror <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:30:15 EST

In a message dated 3/26/00 10:40:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  <<
 1. What is your opinion of the full inclusion movement and were you =
 involved in it?.

I am an adult who was in school long before IEP's became the norm. I was
totally mainstreamed. I got someone to give me my spelling and dictation
tests separately while in elementary school. No special attention during jr.
and sr. high for tests. I got the same test and time as everyone else. If I
did well, GREAT, if not, too bad. no extra time was heard of in my time for
my slower writing time. However, the only other thing I got was five minutes
extra to get from class to lunch room or other classes. I got speech therapy
when it was available once or twice a week due to my hearing impairment so I
got out of class for that. Didn't help much.

 2. In what way is your child included in the regular school program and =
 do you feel that approach is effective and appropriate?

I was mainstreamed and felt apart from everyone else since I couldn't play in
the playground during P.E. or recess due to surgery, and everyone being
afraid of my getting hurt. Falling was a normal part of my day until I
started doing Rolfing at 15.  In jr. and, sr. high, I had the choice of going
home early or taking an extra class to make up for the P.E. class that I
couldn't take. There was no such thing as "Adaptive P.E." in my time.

 3. How has the IEP process been effective or ineffective in meeting your =
 goals for your child?
 4. What has been the most successful part of your child's school =
 program/experience, and why?
 5. What has been the most frustrating part of your child's school =
 program/experience and why? Not feeling accepted by my peers and not fitting
in until the 9th grade.
 6. What are the essential skills that you want to see in a Special =
 Education teacher? Empathy and the ability to make sure that you can reach
your full potential and being accepted as a human being, not a "problem" or
an object.
 AND
 7. What would be some suggested improvements that you would like to see =
 implemented in your child's school/community program? >> >>

Hope this helps,

Dina