C-PALSY  March 2000

C-PALSY March 2000

Re: Questions about IEPs

Viola Faria <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:12:41 EST

In a message dated 3/19/00 11:52:41 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 1. What is your opinion of the full inclusion movement and were you =
 involved in it?
 2. In what way is your child included in the regular school program and =
 do you feel that approach is effective and appropriate?
 3. How has the IEP process been effective or ineffective in meeting your =
 goals for your child?
 4. What has been the most successful part of your child's school =
 program/experience, and why?
 5. What has been the most frustrating part of your child's school =
 program/experience and why?
 6. What are the essential skills that you want to see in a Special =
 Education teacher?
 AND
 7. What would be some suggested improvements that you would like to see =
 implemented in your child's school/community program? >>
My child is now 18 and was mainstreamed into a regular middle school from a
school for disabled children.

After first hand experience with inclusion or mainstreaming, I am dead set
against it.  Very few benefit from it, the vast majority of children are hurt
by it.  There needs are not truly met, and as they reach middle school and
high school, they get as little as possible in services.
2.My child was minstreamed into a regular class room, not a special ed class.
 She is very intelligent, not blind, can hear, has no behavior problems,
doesn't need to be fed, nor have any extra medical need problems.  She has
c.p. and is spastic diplegic, fine and major motor control is affected.
Cannot walk or stand for long periods, (more than 5 mins.)
3.  When she was in the school for disabled children, the IEP was extremely
effective and specifically addressed her needs.  When she went to public
school, the IEP's did not always address her needs, the goals that the IEP
team put together was either not always possible, nor appropriate for my
child.  Instead of fitting the IEP to my child, they fit it to thier own
(special ed. dept, Special School District) agenda.  In other words, they
gave what they wanted to and if they wanted to and their was plenty of
favoritism.
4.  The most successful part of her school program was when she attended the
school for disabled children.  The teachers, staff, administration and anyone
else involved with the school and students was very supportive and without a
shadow of a doubt, worked for the benefit of each child.
5.  The public school's special ed depts. or as in the state of Missouri,
Special School District, have fruatrated and hindered my child's progress in
school.  They (IEP) committee made her feel so worthless and almost destroyed
all her self esteem.  They (IEP people) nit picked on every movement that she
was capable of doing, and came to the conclusions that she didn't need help.
She asked for an aide during several times of the day.  She could not walk in
the hallways, so she became confined to a wheelchair, even though, she had
had surgery and years of therapy to be able to walk and stay out of a
wheelchair, and they (IEP) insisted that she use it in school and when we
refused, they said we were being uncoorporative, and they continued to denie
her the services she needed.  She received not Physical ed, no aide, had to
drop chemistry in HS because the teacher said that without an aide, she would
not be able to participate in the class activities.  The IEP team felt that
the other kids should take her notes, help her with labs, get her in and out
of her chair in class and help her with anything else she needed.  Like it
was their responsibility to take care of their fellow student, who they
didn't even know.
6.  Compasion and understanding and an ability and desire to bring out the
best in thier students, so that they can achieve more than anybody ever
expected.  I've seen teachers like this, who worked with disabled children,
and believed in what they were doing, and wanted to do the best for their
students.  Most public school teachers, are not trained on dealing with the
handicapped, and a lot even have an aversion to them.
7.  The bottom line is money.  SPecial ed. and Special School District, are
99% concerned about money.  Money makes thier decisions, and their decisions
ruin childrens lives.  I'm talking about children who have a chance at a
life, and can be productive citizens.  I'v witnessed several bright, but
physicall handcapped children, quit school, because they cannot get the
services they need to function in a modern High School environment.

I am sick and tired of listening to IEP people and so called educators saying
that other children in the classroom are more than happy and willing to help
the disabled students in whatever it is they need.  I don't know what planet
they (IEP) come from.  Middle school children are selfish, and self centered.
 They are looking for their own identaties and don't want to be caught dead
hanging around a disabled geek.  The disabled with any sense of self worth
and intelligence, hates being put in a position of begging fellow classmates
for help.  It's an unfair situation for all kids concerned.
I feel that with all the monies collected for special ed, and in this state
Special School District, schools for the disabled should be re-instated.  For
the few that think they need to be in a public school, then the option should
be available to them.  I'm sure that you will find, once reality sets in,
that most parents of these children will want to have their kids in a school
for disabled children, where they will have plenty of friends, go on
allllllll school trips, participate in gym games, have inter school
competitions and be able to participate.

I hope you don't get eaten up by the system.  After a while, you need your
job, and end up going along with the so called program, and the children are
on the bottom of the priority list.  They becomes a means of a paycheck.