Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:51:26 -0700
Good Morning to all,

During the last few weeks before we moved to our new
Listserver/HOST   at St. John's University and for the
first few days at setting up shop on the new Host, the
Welcome Statements were not generated to our new subscribers.

So, I am posting the Welcome Statement to everyone.  I usually
do this about every other month anyway.  If you do not have
a copy of this, I recommend you keep this one.  If you have
not read the Statement, I recommend you read it.  These
simple concepts are the basis of our moderating.   Each and
everyone has a solid reason...   developed over the years
I have been a mailing list owner.

Thanks and enjoy PCSOFT...

    Bob Wright
    List Owner
                           Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>

    GUIDELINES for POSTING to PCSOFT

Topic:  Personal computer software: Operating systems,
             Applications and programs - PC format only

I)  Appropriate Topics:

   * Personal computer software - including shareware
       and commercial programs.

We want this list to have as much leeway as necessary to
 allow all the subscribers to solve the problems that may
 arise with their software.   We appreciate the exchange
 of information about new concepts that educate the subscribers
 about different computer softwares.   We hope subscribers
 will feel free to discuss their software problems, no matter
 the age or simplicity of the program... we expect all subscribers
 to be cordial and helpful.  There is no place on PCSOFT for
 crass remarks.

II)  Appropriate posting style:

      The following are only a matter of good 'netiquette.'   Most of this
      is common sense, but it is best that everyone understands the basics.

   * Post any question you may have that is within the scope of the Topic,
      include as many details about the software you are using and operating
      system.   Remember no one else on PCSOFT can see
      your system, so providing good information will help others to help you.

   * Consider your answer a bit before responding.  This will help you to
      eliminate the need for multiple posts to complete your answer with
      additional information you forgot the first time.

   * Always have a subject line for your posts to PCSOFT.  This subject line
      is the title of your post and allows others to follow the thread or
      not as they choose.

   * Never criticize or chastise another subscriber on PCSOFT.  If you have
      a problem contact either the person directly or a list owner.

   * Post only respectfully of other subscribers and their computers.  If a
      subscriber is asking about a program you feel is antiquated...  and you
      feel the need to tell them...   DON'T.   It is always best to help if
      you can and move on.

   * Answer questions with as much information as you may have available.
      If you are offering a site, (WWW, ftp or other), explain what will be
      found at that site, even a short quote from that site.

   * Post your answer with a partial quote from the question, so that someone
      reading your post out of context will understand both the question and
      your answer.  This is not always possible with more simplistic mail
      programs, but try to follow this guideline if possible.

   * Eliminate as much of the original post you are answering as possible.
      Please remove the original "footer" and text unnecessary to qualify
      your answer.   This only takes a few seconds and makes reading your
      response much easier.

   * Post only in a friendly tone.  No flaming will be tolerated and rudeness
      has no place on PCSOFT.   If a question seems very basic, post an
      answer and move on...  remember we all started somewhere.

   * Send personal comments to the original poster by private email.
      Try to remember the size of your audience.

   * Post only in English.   PCSOFT is an english language list.

   * Try to avoid the use of jargon, slang and local idioms.   PCSOFT
      is read on six continents and in over 56 countries.  Many of the
      subscribers will not understand your point.

   * Do not post off topic materials or comments, such as receipes, jokes,
      virus warnings and so forth.

   * Do not post "me too", "I agree", "Thank you" or other similar one line
      comments that serve little or no purpose.   If you wish to make such
      comments, send them by private email to the person you wish to
      see them.

   * Do not post messages with file attachments.  If you have a MS mail
      program check out PCSOFT's web site for information to insure
      you do not forward a mime attachment of the email's formatting.

   * Do not post using email formatting available in such applications as
      Eudora3 or Microsoft mail programs.   Many users access their
      mail using systems that do not support this and the formatting
      adds garbage to your post.

    * Limit the size of your signature file.  No one wants to read a few
       lines of your wisdom only to discover you have added a page
       of worthless verbiage to the end.   Remember that many
       ASCII/ANSI designs will not translate to other mail applications
       and look awful.

    * Be sure to sign your post to PCSOFT.   If you have taken the
       time to add to the conversation, be proud of your ideas and add
       your name to the bottom.  This also curtails rudeness and flames.

     * Do not post using a handle or alias.  This is rude and formants an
        environment that offers too much ease for flaming.

     * Do not cross post to PCSOFT.  This is adding PCSOFT to the
        address line along with other mailing lists, news groups or sites.
        If you have something to say that you wish read by PCSOFT
        members, take the time to make it a single post.

     * Spamming will not be tolerated.

 This list WILL remain friendly...  subscriber friendly.  We do
 not wish anyone feel uncomfortable about posting here.
 We intend to PCSOFT to be available to help when help
 is needed.

                 We will not condone the following:

                                   Flaming:

       Making nasty remarks or rude comments to anyone
       else on the list.   There is never a reason for bad
       manners or behavior.  If you are having a bad day
       find another outlet...  do not bring it to PCSOFT.

                                    Spamming:

       Sending advertisements to PCSOFT is prohibited.

                                   Crossposting:

       Crossposting, (adding PCSOFT as one of the numerous
       addresses an email is directed), will not be tolerated.

                             Messages OFF Topic:

       If a post shows up from the list and you can clearly see that
       it is off topic; yet, you wish to send an answer, send it to the
       person posting the message by private Email.  If a listowner
       posts that a message is OFF TOPIC, please respect their
       decisions and move on.

PCSOFT is moderated by both listowners and every post is read
in a timely manner.   Respect the decisions of the listowners about
posts or conduct on the list.  PCSOFT is maintained as a serious
arena for the topic.   Posting jokes, receipes, odd things found on
the Internet or about anything else Off Topic will never be appreciated.
PCSOFT has the greatest value when a subscriber knows that the
list is available when help is needed.   Please respect this point.

  Remember no question is foolish or inane.  If you do not know,
 this is the place to ask your question.  We are all here to help
 one and other...   to increase the general knowledge about the
 computers we are using.  If a question arises that seems VERY
 basic...  you do not need to say it to the poster, just post a civil
 answer and move on.  If you have a question, no matter
 how basic we hope you will feel free to ask.

    PCSOFT is here to help...  to help everyone!

Questions about PCSOFT:  direct these to the list owners:

    Bob Wright:           [log in to unmask]
    Drew Dunn            [log in to unmask]

 We will attempt to be patient and understanding, answering your
 questions about the list in a timely manner.   We want this list to
 be successful for the subscribers.  If you are experiencing problems
 with PCSOFT or the Listserver, email a listowner.  The listowners
 will help you...

 If you have any additional points that you believe we should address
 in this statement, send an Email to the list owners and we will discuss
 it.   But, remember that the Listowners have the final decision as it
 concerns PCSOFT.

 If you wish to be removed from PCSOFT, send an email to:

 In the body of the message type:
           SIGNOFF PCSOFT
 Put nothing in the subject line of your email.

If you wish to be receive PCSOFT in digest form, send an email to:

 In the body of the message type:
           SET PCSOFT  DIGEST
 Put nothing in the subject line of your email.

 If you have problems notify a listowner and they will help you.

To get the most of this list or any mailing list, please spend a
little time and learn how to use a LISTSERVER.  Here are some
excellent places to start:

  Users Guides -  http://www.listserv.net & http://www.lsoft.com
                             ftp://ftp.earn.net/doc/listserv