VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Larges <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Larges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 18:26:53 -0700
I think Captcha has been a subject on this list before, and it seems to me
that there was some initiative being started somewhere to improve the
system, and if anyone knows about that I'd love to know more.
Some of the Captcha programs provide an audio alternative, but, as with the
graphical version, the audio files are necessarily fuzzy or somewhat
distorted so that online bots can't electronically identify the numbers;
unfortunately, trying to hear the audio file and either remember the
sequences or type it in at the same time is a simple exercise in madness.
It isn't a workable solution, nor is the option, sometimes used, of emailing
a representative.

These kinds of things are going to become more common, and there needs to be
a means of ensuring that workable accessibility is built in from the
beginning.

There's my rant!

Lisa