VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:40:59 -0600
The following articles describes the pluses and minuses of the three main
options for increasing one's connection speed to the Internet.

kelly

the New York Times

November 11, 1999

Picking the Right Data Superhighway

     High-Bandwidth Web Access Is a Surfer's Dream, but Each Route Has
     Its Speed Bumps

By PETER H. LEWIS

     AUSTIN, Tex. -- The key to happiness in the Internet age is
     bandwidth. Bandwidth, bandwidth, bandwidth. Fat pipes, capable of
     sucking down Web pages, music files, video clips, e-mail and other
     forms of digital information and entertainment from the Internet in
     the blink of an eye. A data spigot that is always open, without
     busy signals and without the kinds of delays and service
     interruptions that drive most computer users mad.

     Bandwidth -- a measure of the flow of information, in bits, that
     moves over a given distance in a period of time -- is the most
     important factor in the development of new types of services on the
     Internet, more so than increases in personal computer processing
     power or new types of Internet communications devices.

     Until recently, high-bandwidth connections to the Internet were
     available mainly to businesses and certain lucky people willing and
     able to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars a month for
     so-called broadband Internet access. But with the development of
     cable modems, digital subscriber line (D.S.L.) modems and satellite
     data services, several million Americans now have access to
     high-speed, broadband data services.

     You can tell who they are by the smug looks on their faces. I know,
     because I see the face of a bandwidth glutton in the mirror each
     morning. I am rich in bandwidth, wallowing in a broadband trough.

     In recent months I have had the luxury of using not just one
     broadband connection in my home office but three: a cable modem, a
     D.S.L. modem and a satellite modem. I've been testing them to see
     which one to keep, a decision that sooner or later a lot of Net
     surfers are going to make.

     Now, only a small percentage of Americans live in the right
     geographic or service area to get any one of these services, and
     even fewer -- perhaps 1 percent, according to market reseachers --
     have a choice of two. But by the grace of whatever digital deities
     watch over the Internet, my house in Austin is in a rare sweet
     spot, where cable, D.S.L. and satellite coverage overlap. I also
     had I.S.D.N. (integrated services digital network, which
     essentially combines the capacity of two phone lines), but I had it
     ripped from my house when its cost and complexity far outstripped
     the modest speed improvements it offered over regular dial-up phone
     service.

     My files are downloaded in a snap. Web pages pop onto my screen. I
     do not think twice about downloading video clips or MP3 music
     files. Multiplayer network games and home videoconferences suddenly
     become practical. But the thing that changes everything is the fact
     that the Internet is always on, whenever I want it.

     My biggest nightmare is that I will wake up someday and have to
     connect to the Internet using -- the horror, the horror -- an
     old-fashioned dial-up 56K modem on a dial-up telephone line.

     Here is an example: Earlier this year, the movie trailer for "Star
     Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace" was made available for
     downloading from the Internet, but it was a 25-megabyte file. The
     fastest conventional modems available today, at 56K, can download
     nearly 56,000 bits per second. There are 8 bits in a byte, and,
     because of way binary numbers are counted, 1,048,576 bytes, or
     8,388,608 bits, in a megabyte and roughly 200 million bits in a
     25-megabyte file. In the time it takes to do the calculation of how
     long it would take a regular modem to download the file, it would
     already be done via a cable or D.S.L. modem.

     Alas, I cannot put all three broadband services on my expense
     account indefinitely, so I have to choose. Following is a
     discussion of the three broadband options, and what went into my
     decision.

     Cable

     The black coaxial cable that carries cable television signals to
     tens of millions of households can also handle high-bandwidth data
     connections. Analysts expect cable to become the dominant method
     for high-speed Internet connections at home, in part because cable
     already passes by the majority of houses in the country. But older
     cable systems were designed to be only one-way, sending video to
     the home, so cable providers have to upgrade their systems to give
     them the two-way capabilities needed for Internet access.

   A cable modem provides fast access to the Internet, until all the
   neighbors hook up, too.

     The top speed of a cable modem, at least in theory, is about 30
     million bits per second (30 mbps), but a more realistic expectation
     is around 1 mbps. It can be a bit faster, but considering that most
     of us connect a cable modem to a 10-mbps Ethernet card, 30 mbps is
     a pipe dream. Uploading is somewhat slower, but that is usually not
     a problem for most home users.

     More important is that cable downloading can be even slower,
     depending on how many of your neighbors are also using the
     neighborhood cable pipe at the same time. It is a shared service.

     If you have the local cable line all to yourself, you can easily
     top 1 mbps. But if all of your neighbors have cable modems, things
     can slow down so much that you might actually yearn to have your
     dial-up modem back. If one of your cable-using neighbors starts
     running a Web server out of the home, you can imagine neighbors
     marching with torches and pitchforks. The two leading cable data
     services, Time Warner's Roadrunner and AT&T Cable's @Home, forbid
     residential customers to run Web server computers on the network.

     Remember, however, that the practical speed of any broadband
     network, no matter what its theoretical speed, is limited by the
     slowest link on the network. If you link to a popular site that is
     congested, or to an obscure site that may be attached to the
     Internet through the equivalent of a hand-cranked computer, your
     multimegabit broadband connection will slow down accordingly.

     My monthly cable data fee is $44.95 because I also subscribe to the
     cable company's standard (as opposed to basic) television services.
     If I were not already a cable television customer, I would have to
     become one to get the data services, taking my monthly cost to a
     minimum of about $65 a month. With my extra television channels,
     I'm now paying Time Warner $85 a month, which includes the rental
     of the cable modem. Adding e-mail addresses for family members
     costs $5 a month each. If I want to have a home page on the Web, it
     is $5 extra per month.

     There was a setup and installation charge of $130, but periodic
     promotional deals cut that price in half. It took several
     frustrating exchanges with the local company before technicians
     finally came to my house. Over all, the installation process was
     about what I had come to expect from my cable company: a logistical
     nightmare.

     Besides the Jekyll and Hyde speed issues that affect cable modems,
     a big drawback is that cable customers have no choice of Internet
     service providers. America Online and other popular I.S.P.'s are
     challenging the cable companies in court to open cable services to
     competition, but for now, it's either Roadrunner or @Home. Time
     Warner is my local cable company, and Roadrunner is the only choice
     I have for cable I.S.P. service.

     Another concern is data security. Because it is a shared network,
     any of your devious neighbors with the technical expertise to run a
     network sniffer can intercept data packets from your computer. That
     is highly unlikely, but it is a risk.

     Try this: Lie to your neighbors, telling them that hackers came in
     over your cable modem and wiped out your bank accounts. Mention
     that you have heard that D.S.L. service is more secure. Then you
     will have the cable network all to yourself.

     D.S.L.

     D.S.L., which stands for digital subscriber line, enables
     high-speed Internet connections to houses and small businesses over
     the same copper telephone lines that handle voice and fax calls. It
     does not interfere with voice traffic on the line, however, so one
     person can make or receive calls while another is using the same
     line to connect to the Internet. A big advantage, therefore, is
     that D.S.L. does not require the installation of a second phone
     line or cable service.

   D.S.L. does not require a second phone line or cable, but the service
   degrades quickly with distance.

     Its big drawback is that the service degrades quickly as a function
     of distance, so customers are limited to a geographic radius of
     about 3 miles from a telephone company's central office
     (technically, about 17,500 feet). The phone company first checks to
     see if your nearest central office offers digital service, then
     checks to see if you live close enough to it and finally checks the
     actual line to see if it can handle D.S.L. bandwidth. If everything
     checks out, the phone company will send out a crew to install a
     splitter, which splits voice and data traffic on the line. A
     splitterless form of the service is also in the works.

     There are many kinds of D.S.L. The most common for residential
     service is the asynchronous kind, A.D.S.L., or A.D.S.L Lite, which
     offers slightly lower data speeds. On an A.D.S.L. line, information
     is uploaded to the Internet at one speed, typically 128 kilobits
     per second, but downloaded at much higher speeds, typically 384
     kilobits per second (kbps) to 1.544 megabits per second (mbps).

     The downloading speed is most important for most people, so it is
     fair to say that downloading with D.S.L. is anywhere from 7 to 25
     times as fast as with the fastest dial-up analog modems.

     Unlike cable modem users, who share a line, each D.S.L. subscriber
     has a dedicated line to the central office. Therefore, the speed is
     more constant and predictable.

     The top speed of a D.S.L. modem is basically determined by how much
     money you are willing to spend and how close you live to the
     central telephone office. I live 200 yards from a central office,
     and my basic D.S.L. service regularly achieves more than the
     minimum speed of 384 kbps downstream and often hovers near the 1.5
     mbps maximum; it is 128 kbps upstream.

     It costs about $70 a month, which includes the telephone company
     line charge of $39 a month, the fee of the Internet service
     provider, three e-mail addresses and other services for which the
     cable company charges extra.

     I also paid $212 for a cable modem and a network adapter card. I
     leased the modem instead of buying one outright because I wanted to
     make sure it worked with the D.S.L. equipment at the phone company.

     My monthly fee is high compared with other D.S.L. offerings around
     the country. In general, you can expect to pay $30 to $50 a month
     for basic service.

     While D.S.L. cannot compete with cable in terms of speed during the
     day, when most of my neighbors are at their offices and I have the
     cable line mostly to myself, it is routinely faster than cable in
     the evenings, when my neighbors are sharing my cable pipe.

     I can increase my guaranteed D.S.L. performance to a minimum of 384
     kbps upstream and 1.544 mbps downstream by paying $170 or more a
     month.

     The performance at this level is almost comparable with the speeds
     of T-1 lines, which many companies use to operate Web-based
     businesses. T-1 service typically costs $1,000 a month or more.
     Other forms of D.S.L. service can promise speeds up to 50 mbps, but
     at monthly prices that would probably exceed your mortgage payment.

     As with cable, my D.S.L. connection is always on.

     Satellite

     Satellite data service has so much promise, especially for people
     in areas not served by D.S.L. or cable. But satellite also has many
     challenges.

     The Web is an interactive medium, while satellite is intrinsically
     a one-way medium (most of us do not routinely communicate with
     satellites). To send mouse clicks and typed commands to the
     Internet, you have to have an open phone line in addition to the
     satellite feed.

     Satellite service requires the installation of a receiver dish
     antenna, which is about the size of a garbage can lid and costs
     $200 to $400. The dish has to have a clear line of sight to the
     satellite, which in the New York City area is typically in the
     southwestern sky.

     The installation and alignment of the dish is not for technological
     sissies, and I highly recommend paying the extra $200 to $300 for
     professional installation. Once installed, moreover, the data
     signal can be knocked out of whack by high winds or bad weather.

   Satellite service has much promise for downloading data, but it also
   presents many challenges.

     I signed up for Hughes DirecPC satellite data services as part of a
     package with Compaq Computer. Compaq, like many other PC makers, is
     trying to make it as easy as possible for its customers to be ready
     for broadband access. Besides the dish and installation cost,
     monthly satellite data service costs $30 to $130 a month, depending
     on how many hours you spend on line.

     The $30 plan is good for a measly 25 hours a month. The $130 plan
     allows up to 200 hours a month (versus unlimited time with cable or
     D.S.L. service).

     Satellite data services may someday be ubiquitous and reach speeds
     of 45 mbps, but for now the maximum speed is a relatively pokey 400
     kbps.

     More users can mean slower speeds and, occasionally, busy signals
     when you're trying to connect with the local satellite I.S.P.

     So far, so bad. The guys who wired my satellite system were
     apparently receiving their orders directly from deep space. Despite
     my request that they mount the dish on the side of the house and
     not drill holes in my roof, I now have a dish bolted through my
     roof.

     Satellite is a swell choice for people who cannot get cable or
     D.S.L. service, especially people who live in remote areas. But a
     satellite broadband connection requires a phone line, and that can
     be a major problem if you live in Whitefish, Mont., and the nearest
     satellite I.S.P. is a long-distance call away in Bozeman.

     Decisions

     If you spend only a few minutes on line every day, switching to a
     broadband modem may not make much financial sense. But if you find
     yourself spending more time connected to the Internet each day and
     becoming more impatient with busy signals and the time spent
     waiting for pages to load, a broadband connection may be the
     solution.

     Satellite was scratched off my list first. If I lived in an area
     where satellite was my only choice, I could live with it. But since
     I have a choice, satellite isn't it.

     I'm still going to use an analog modem because it is impossible to
     take my cable modem and D.S.L. modem with me on trips.

     The choice, then, comes down to two contenders, cable and D.S.L.
     Either is vastly more satisfactory than a regular modem, and if I
     had no choice and had to take one or the other, I would still
     consider myself very fortunate, no matter which one I had. The
     speed is nice, but more than that, I have come to rely on the
     always-on connection. There are no busy signals, no delays in
     getting online, no screeching, beep-boop modem sounds and no
     interruptions if I stay idle longer than the service provider
     thinks is necessary.

   Bringing broadband exhilaration to the plodding masses.

     Despite cable's theoretical speed advantage, the actual
     performances of cable and D.S.L. are comparable. Therefore, the
     determinants come down to price and, to a lesser extent, to
     security, the choice of I.S.P. and reliability.

     If I had to choose -- and economics dictate that I must -- I would
     keep D.S.L. Performance is steady and reliable. From the start, the
     phone company has been easier to deal with than my cable company,
     although both could improve their customer service skills.

     Naturally, many people have drawn exactly the opposite conclusion.
     They found their local phone company impossible to deal with and
     had no trouble with cable. It all depends on the skills and
     temperament of the local service providers. The best tactic, as
     always, is to ask neighbors and friends who have local broadband
     access about their experiences.

    Peter H. Lewis at [log in to unmask] welcomes your comments and
    suggestions.