VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Everett Gavel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Everett Gavel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:43:47 -0500
Hi Lisa, Ted, and all,

I use Google as my home page. It's so clean and fast loading I love it, plus I'm an info junkie. ;-)

The Options button is still there (in the very top right corner for anyone using Zoomtext). But I do have a Google account so maybe that's why it shows up for me. I avoided getting a Google account, but when they bought Blogger & Blogspot.com my blog got acquired, and thereby had an account automatically setup for it, since I had an account at Blogspot.

So now I have a Google account, and I can go into Options, then into Search Settings, which when you click on Options a drop down menu appears, though it's not an actual drop down menu. It's in code that I've never bothered finding out which code, where a sort of "ghost" menu appears below the link, telling you it's menu of options. But when your mouse comes off of hovering, the menu disappears. But while it's showing you can click on any of the choices. And often, when I have done a "CTRL + A" to copy all text, it also copies every one of those links, showing me what they are if I paste it into Notepad. But when you go to look visually on the Web page, most are not there, until you hover over the main link for that category of links to drop down.

Anyway it's been awhile since I shut off that feature you asked about. But I don't think it's in the Google settings. I am thinking it was in the browser settings, in IE. In IE type CTRL+t, then o for options. Then backtab to the General tab. Right arrow over to the Advanced tab. In there, Tab once & you'll find a list of checkboxes. Arrow down and look for, 'Enable Suggested Sites,' or it might be, 'Use Inline Autocomplete,' Can't remember, but I have both of those unchecked. Now, I might be wrong. Because while that stops the URL field from automatically suggesting fill-ins, and keeps form fields I think, from autosuggesting, I'm not sure if that also does that on the Google search field.

But it may not matter, because Google still, though not filling in the actual field directly anymore, offers suggestions in a dropdown menu of possibilities, which I've never found a way to get rid of. Zoomtext doesn't automaticaly start reading those, thankfully. I haven't checked JFW or WindowEyes for that, though. But I wonder if that's the case, if JFW or WE has an option to not read dropdowns automatically then? Need to check that.

Anyway, I hOpe that helps somehow. ;-)

Strive On!
Everett