VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Duane Farrar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Farrar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2018 11:15:20 -0400
Hi List,

I have recently noticed JAWS 17 behaving strangely when I startup my
Windows 7 desktop. JAWS comes on as usual for the logon screen, but then
goes silent after I type in my password and press ENTER. It then remains
silent for at least 30 seconds before reannouncing itself as if it had
been unloaded and reloaded.

Also, once I then go and open Mozilla Thunderbird and try to compose a
message, JAWS seems to repeatedly lose focus and I cannot get it to read
back anything I have typed. I find I have to ALT TAB over to a different
application or the desktop and then switch back to get JAWS to refocus
on the message body. But, that focus is temporary and JAWS soon loses
focus again. This only seems to happen the first time I run Thunderbird
after startup. If I use the program again at a later time this issue
seems to go away. However, I am composing this message using Notepad
because trying to do so in Thunderbird is infuriating and I will copy &
paste this text into the message body.

Two things that have happened recently on my computer are:

1. I recently installed NVDA on my computer, although it does not load
at startup (At least, I don't think so.)

2. As described in my recent posts to this list, my Thunderbird Inbox
did suffer some damage and had to be repaired.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,
Duane

Archived on the World Wide Web at