VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 20:54:41 -0500
Hello, Robin.  Your quest for software to magnify the screen is not as
impossible as you might think.  There are many programs available which
will do this.  The one I've had some experience with is a program called
Zoomtext from a company called AI Squared.  I am, in all honesty, not the
most appropriate person to comment on screen magnification  software, since
I myself am blind and use speech output to read what is on the computer
screen.  However, I am a computer instructor and have worked with several
people who use this software and they all seem to feel that it does an
excellent job.  The software contains many options for enlarging the
computer screen.  While a version of the software does exist providing the
addition of speech output, I feel that Zoomtext, as a speech output
package, is barely adequate in that it won't read text on the screen as
automatically or as often as you might wish, but you can enlarge a document
or a Web page and have Zoomtext read that document, pausing it and
restarting it when you want it to.  I believe that the address for AI
Squared's Web site is

www.aisquared.com
     I wish you all the best, and I'm quite sure that you'll find a useful
solution for your daughter.

At 08:05 PM 1/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I need something to magnify my 15 inch monitor for my 4 1/2 year old.  I've
>tried enlarging the mouse pointer, which does help, but it's not enough.
>
>Many Thanks for an answer for a seemingly impossible question......Robin
>

>VICUG-L is the Visually Impaired Computer User Group List.
>To join or leave the list, send a message to
>[log in to unmask]  In the body of the message, simply type
>"subscribe vicug-l" or "unsubscribe vicug-l" without the quotations.
> VICUG-L is archived on the World Wide Web at
>http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/vicug-l.html

      Godspeed
     David Goldfield