VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nelson Blachman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nelson Blachman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 20:28:44 -0800
Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA), Iran
http://www.irna.com/en/head/030404193429.ehe.shtml

A cyber cafe for visually impaired in Delhi

New Delhi, April 4, IRNA - Software in India's Capital, New Delhi,
that helps the visually impaired has become computer literate,
launching them on the road to e-revolution.
Opening in Hauz Khas Enclave in South Delhi on Friday is the first
-of-its-kind cyber cafe in North India, offering the visually impaired
a chance to become Net savy. This project has been initiated by the
National Association for the Blind (NAB).
Says Shalini Khanna, Project Coordinator, Centre for Blind Women,
NAB: "We have another cafe like this in Mumbai, which has been running
successfully for the past two years. We thought it was time to start a
similar one in Delhi. We intend to charge a nominal fee of Rs. 10 per
hour, but if the response is good we'll reduce it to Rs.5."
Open to the visually impaired, the cafe will help them bridge the
Braille gap.
"After all how many books can you convert into Braille? With
this software, material which was previously inaccessible to them,
can now be "read". All our computers have been fitted with Jaws. This
software simply converts the written word into the spoken one, so
that the person using it is guided by the voice," she says.
"This software also allows the visually impaired to download
information off the Net and write it on CDs here. Getting access to
a different world will give them a wider horizon".
"They now have the opportunity to learn so much more and gain
confidence which will open new avenues of employment for them,"
says Shalini.
Also equipped with a scanner, which separates the text from the
pictures and helps them "read", this software will go a long way in
integrating the visually impaired into the mainstream.
With only five computers at the cafe, it may be a small step, but
for them at least it is a beginning. And a chance to become part of
the global village on a somewhat equal footing.