VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Camper Mick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Camper Mick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:54:17 -0500
Hi Harry - I am not clear on a couple things here. Your machine should
not be doing a scan disk every time you boot into windows. If your
machine is doing this then there are a few possibilities.

Your second question about the speed  of the machine. Hard drives
basically come in two speeds, 5400 and 7200. These are speeds in
revolutions much like old records. The faster a hard drive the quicker
retrieval of information that is on the disk. When you speak of the P4
2.8 gig system you are talking about the processor speed. The processor
is the P4 also known as the CPU (central processing unit). The quicker
the processor speed the faster a program loads and implements.

Boot up time is something different. A faster processor will quicken
booting into windows but the number of programs loading when booting
into windows lengthens or shortens boot up. If you are talking about the
time it takes your machine to 'boot' then start windows then there is
nothing you can do to shorten this process.

The machine you described (the one you want to purchase) could probably
run a small country. That system will cost you a bundle but if you have
that kind of money then go for it. If you do not have that kind of money
then my suggestion is to purchase a P3 or compatible cpu.