VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2014 12:05:27 -0700
Hi to all.

After sending in this problem, I made another discovery. While on the telephone with someone from Braille2000, I discovered that each of the winmail.dat files contains not the document that was supposed to be attached, but a copy of the original message sent to me that I read without opening the attachment. I wonder if this knowledge will assist in figuring out what the problem is (I had missed this information before as it was not at the top of the attachment when I opened it).

As to Dropbox, I did utilize that at my previous place of employment. I will have to see if my current employer is using it before I give it a try, but that is definitely one possible solution.
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.
---- ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi to all.

I'm at my wit's end and I'm wondering if any list members can assist me. I work as a braille proofreader for a local agency for the blind. The braille files I proofread are created using Braille2000. As for me, I am running a computer with Windows 7, JAWS 15 (the latest), and Microsoft Office 10. I am also using Cox' web email service, and the company assured me by phone yesterday that it hasn't changed this service in any way. I ran Microsoft's spy-catching program last night to see if there were any hidden files from foreign sources on my computer that might be causing me harm (it found none). Yesterday, my boss sent me the latest book for me to proofread; however, instead of the .abt file I normally get, I received a Winmail.dat file. I opened this file using Wordpad only to find a bunch of computer code with a line near the top saying "Generated by Word 14." My boss has resent me this file in a .brf format and as a zipped file with exactly the same results. She also sent me another file (presumably written in Word) that was an announcement of an upcoming event that showed up in my email as another winmail.dat file. My questions before I lose my job are:

1) Are these files being generated by Word 14.

2) Is there a way on my boss's or my end to fix the file so that I can receive and read them correctly or (assuming the answer to my first question is "Yes") will I need to purchase Microsoft Office 2014 to be able to work on these files.

3) If none of the above is true, what canI do so that I can begin working on my braille proofreads again. Help!
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]