VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Randy Hayhurst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Hayhurst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:10:11 -0500
Hello list members, I remember there was some discussion about the problems
caused by the latest round of updates from the "Evil Empire" and when I got this
article in my inbox, I thought I would share it with you.

From ZDNet:
Microsoft patch can cause IE trouble

By

Joris Evers,

CNET News.com

Published on

ZDNet News:

August 15, 2006, 5:32 PM PT

Microsoft's security update from Aug. 8 to Internet Explorer is causing browser
trouble for some systems.

After people apply the

MS06-042 update,

rated "critical" by Microsoft, IE may crash when certain Web sites are viewed,
the company said in a

notice on its customer support Web site.

The problem affects IE 6 with Service Pack 1 on Windows XP and Windows 2000
systems, it said.

"Microsoft has identified an issue with the security update MS06-042," the
company said in a statement Tuesday. It plans to re-release the bulletin and

patch on Aug. 22 for all affected users.

The problem occurs when IE users view Web sites that use version 1.1 of HTTP
alongside compression, according to Microsoft's notice. HTTP, or hypertext

transfer protocol, is the standard protocol used to browse Web sites.

IE users on security mailing lists have reported browser crashes when using
PeopleSoft applications that have Web-based interfaces. Others report running

into problems when using other applications, including Microsoft's own customer
relationship management, or CRM, tools.

"We are running PeopleSoft for administration systems, and our Windows 2000 SP4
and Windows XP SP1 running Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 crash when they got

into the PeopleSoft pages," Fred Dunn, a systems administrator at the University
of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, said in an e-mail interview.

Dunn called Microsoft's product support service, which recommended disabling the
use of HTTP 1.1 in IE's advanced settings menu. However, that's not a change

that's easily done on all PCs in the university, Dunn said. "Our only workaround
was to get the PeopleSoft programmers to turn off compression...which

slows down the response," he said.

MS06-042 is an update for IE that addresses eight vulnerabilities in the popular
browser. It is

one of a dozen security updates

that Microsoft released last week on Patch Tuesday.

Patches have caused trouble at times, on occasion prompting Microsoft to fix
already released updates. In April, it released a second version of a Windows

Explorer update because the original

interfered with Hewlett-Packard software and Nvidia drivers.

In June, it had to fix a patch that

caused network connection trouble

for some people.

Microsoft has a temporary fix available for the problems caused by MS06-042.
However, this fix is not available for download; people have to call

Microsoft's support line.

    Send comments on list operation to
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]