VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 04:22:07 -0500
This article is from the August 24, 2001 issue of The Dominion Post
of Morgantown, West Virginia.

State pilots project to equip
intersections with signals for blind At corner of High and Willey,
and High and Walnut streets

BY JOHN WILFONG

The Dominion Post

A state pilot project to equip two downtown Morgantown intersections
with audible and tactile crossing signals may serve as a showcase
for the state. The type of signals the state Division of Highways
plans to install will at least be the first of their kind in the
state. The pilot project is the result of efforts by the
Morgantown-Kingwood National Federation of the Blind, which worked
closely with federal, state and local officials. Bill Bragg, vice
president of the local federation chapter, said the signals will
benefit many in the community, not just the blind or visually
impaired. The handicapped and even the elderly will gain an added
safety feature while crossing downtown streets. "We're very proud of
our city officials and the Division of Highways for their help in
getting these crossing signals installed in our rapidly growing
city," Bragg said. "This is a move we should have started 40 years
ago." The DOH said the first two intersections will be a pilot
program, which will be monitored and fine-tuned before the decision
to proceed with other intersections. The local blind federation
chapter had identified 11 intersections to be considered priorities
for the signals that not only emit sounds when it's safe to cross,
but also have vibrating tactile sensors transmitting the same
information. The signals will be installed at the intersection of
High and Willey streets, and the intersection of High and Walnut
streets. Work is expected to begin in the next 60 days. While most
of the federation's recommendations included streets downtown, the
group has added the intersection of University Avenue and Foundry
Street. Bragg said since the DOH is turning the temporary signal
into a permanent one, the accessible signals should be installed
there as part of the project. University Avenue is by far the most
dangerous road to cross despite any visual impairment, he said. But
he understands the need to test the signals and their efficiency.
"We do not want to see any money wasted," Bragg said. "We encourage
them to install the signals at more intersections, but we understand
the need to do it correctly. We want to do it right the first time."
One of the units costs about $250, depending on its features. And
each intersection would require several units each. The widespread
installation of the signals also holds the potential of benefiting
the city, and WVU as a whole, Bragg said, aside from merely offering
added protection for the blind. "There are many parents and students
who don't know the town," he said. "These signals would make the
streets safer not only for us, but everyone else. Who knows? Several
years down the road, accessible streets could be a very attractive
selling point for the university. "We know of several people who
would like to attend the university, but fear the difficulty of
navigating these streets."