VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2013 10:46:39 -0800
Hi All,

Below is the latest newsletter from Nextup, the company that makes
TextAloud for Windows. The Windows version lets you hear text documents
read in various voices and save the file to mp3. The ability to use
different voices was great when screen readers didn't include this
feature. It's also useful for when you occasionally want to read a
document, etc., in a different language.

Anyway, the only thing I know about the iOS version is what is in the
newsletter below. I'm forwarding the information in case any of you are
interested. My experience with the Windows version is that the developer
is receptive to feedback about accessibility, so if the app isn't
Voiceover friendly, my guess is that the developer would be willing to
change that.

I've done some editing to the newsletter to shorten it.

Ciao

This newsletter is all about our newly released TextAloud App for the
iPhone™, iPad™ and iPod Touch™ devices. (For our Windows™ users, please
stay tuned
for some new voices for TextAloud 3 to be announced here in the coming
weeks.)

TextAloud App for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch

It's here! NextUp is pleased to announce that our TextAloud App for iOS,
designed for the iPhone™, iPad™ and iPod Touch™, is now available in the
App Store.

Our TextAloud App is a basic reader so it does not yet have many of the
features in the TextAloud PC version, but we think you will find it
useful and we
plan to continue improving it. Unfortunately, it is not available in a
trial but if you have any questions before purchasing please do not
hesitate to
send us an email to

Description
Priced at just $4.99 in the
App Store
, the TextAloud App enables you to listen to text on your iPhone™,
iPad™, or iPod Touch™. As you use other apps on your device, it runs in
the background
and automatically creates articles from text you copy to the clipboard.
TextAloud maintains an article list and has settings that allow you to
configure
articles to be spoken automatically as they are added, and deleted when
speaking is finished.

Features include word highlighting and also adjustable display colors,
brightness and text size. Another helpful option is Auto-Lock While
Speaking, which
lets you keep your display turned on while speaking is in progress, then
once speaking has completed, the display will work with your normal
auto-lock
setting. TextAloud registers on your device as an app that can handle
text files and it includes Dropbox™ integration.

Voices for the TextAloud App

Two excellent US English voices by Acapela™ (Heather, a female voice and
Ryan, a male voice) are included when you purchase the TextAloud App for
$4.99.
More Acapela™voices are available through in-app purchase at $1.99 each.
A total of 51 Acapela™voices including 25 different languages are offered.

Purchase the TextAloud App

Finding the TextAloud App in the AppStore is easy. You can reach it
directly from your device via

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textaloud/id540107489?mt=8

or search the AppStore for "TextAloud" and then follow the instructions
to purchase and install it immediately.

Purchase TextAloud App through iTunes™

If you prefer, you can instead purchase through iTunes™. On the
left-hand side of the
TextAloud App's main page in the App Store

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textaloud/id540107489?mt=8

users will notice a button labeled "View in iTunes." Clicking this
button will open up iTunes™, where users can then download the app to
iTunes™, and then
sync with their preferred devices.

System Requirements

The TextAloud App for iOS is compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4,
iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod Touch (3rd generation), iPod Touch (4th
generation), iPod Touch
(5th generation) and iPad. It requires iOS 5.0 or later, and is
optimized for iPhone 5.

Important Note

As the TextAloud App does include the two voices with the initial app
purchase, it is a sizeable file (120MB) so we recommend using a WiFi
connection for an easier download once you purchase it in the App Store.

Thank You!

We are excited about this new product and for those of you with Apple
devices, your support on this is vital to NextUp. Please let us know any
questions,
problems or suggestions you have concerning the TextAloud App by sending
an email to

Please mention the TextAloud App in your email and also let us know
which type Apple device(s) you have.
In Closing

If you find our products useful, please share the news with your friends
and colleagues. We offer Volume Pricing licensing available to schools,
organizations
and businesses needing to license multiple PCs. If you'd like more
information on this or have questions about any of our products, please
don't hesitate
to contact us at

Thank you for your interest in our company & products.

The NextUp.com Team
NextUp.com
The Power of Spoken Audio
http://www.NextUp.com