VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:15:19 -0600
As someone who lives in a place with access to one of the world's largest
publicly accessible research libraries (the University of Illinois at Urbana
Champaign with nine million volumes), I am fortunate  that for nearly
everything that will be on Google I could order from the University of
Illinois and scan it in myself.  I empathize with those who don't have
access to the resources I have though.  I suspect that at a certain stage of
critical mass, some arrangement for blind access will be developed once they
get the overall program off the ground.  Already, the New York times is
hinting that congress should worry about author's rights.  If the government
gets involved before this project is off the ground, nothing will happen for
anyone.

for comparison, consider that commercially produced unabridged audio books
produced in previous years are now being made available to the blind online
in a limited test and methods are being developed on how to make these
titles more widely available.

Kelly