VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brent Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 00:32:33 -400
That was an interesting article.  When I go through a security checkpoint
with my laptop, I place it on the conveyor belt beside the checkpoint, but
my arm is still inside the carrying strap.  If one of those turkeys is going
to step in front of me to get between me and my computer, he's going to have
one hell of a time doing so, especially since he's probably also going to
contend, not only with my 210-plus-pound body, but with an even
faster-reacting  65-pound canine body at my side.  The best rule of thumb
when you  take your computer with you is to never, not for one second, not
anywhere, let the case in which the computer rides, leave your body.  If
you're stupid enough to let it get away from the reach of your hand, you get
what you  deserve if it grows legs and walks.  You can also pack the laptop
computer into some kind of bag that does not bear a model name that
specifically denotes it as a computer bag.  A non-descript padded
sportsman's backpack is a good example of a big that doesn't scream brand
names like, "CompuCarrier," "Executive Computer Case," or something similar
to that.  Also, make sure to at least appear as if you are absolutely aware
of every sound and movement in your immediat vicinity.  Most laptop thieves
are sneaky bastards, and they prefer to surprise you and take the target
laptop case and be gone before its owner is even aware that has moved.  If
they don't think they can surprise you, you won't be their mark.  They don't
want to draw attention to themselves.

Reply to: [log in to unmask]
Brent Reynolds, Atlanta, GA  USA

Net-Tamer V 1.12 Beta - Registered