VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:31:04 -0400
        I don't know anything about this, and would be interested to learn how
accurate the message below is.

Thanks, Peter

Hi all,

Please read the folowing message from Steve Wolf, a blind webcaster who has
one of the top Internet radio stations in the world.  And please do call
your Congressperson right away as requested.  Briefly, the Copyright
Arbitration Royalty Panel (CARP) has recommended charging exorbitant rates
for Webcasters like Steve, rates that are specifically designed to put
independent internet stations out of business so that the record labels can
control the market and push their new artists.  With these new rates, for
this year alone Steve would have to pay $292,723.60 (what small business of
under three employees could survive such payments?), and in addition the
CARP is demanding that the payments be retroactive to 1998.  To learn more,
you can visit www.saveinternetradio.org.  Finally, as there are many blind
webcasters, the CARP proposal would increase the 70% of the blind who are
currently unemployed.

Congressman Boucher's letter, mentioned below, proposes reasonable and
manageable payments, based on a percentage of annual revenue.  Eleven
Congresspeople have already signed onto the Boucher letter, but far more are
needed.  This is a real chance for us to make a difference, to protect the
minnows from capitalist sharks.  Please forward to others.  With sincere
thanks,
Pam
----- Original Message ----- > ----- Original Message -----> From: