VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Sean Homan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Sean Homan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:05:57 -0500
Hi, My teammate and I are conducting a survey for a project at our
school(W.P.I).  We are the follow up group working on projects to improve
the everyday life of the sensory, more specifically visually, impaired.
The previous group obtained notoriety for their cross walk button locator,
we are now trying to go beyond this in the direction of a talking sign, or
something along those lines.  We would greatly appreciate any response we
get to this survey.  Please reply to just myself, rather than the entire
email list.  Thank you for your time and aid in this project.

-Michael

Survey Questions

1. Have you ever used a navigational system before, or something along
those lines? (Button locator, talking sign)

2. Do you go shopping on your own? (Y/N)

3. What would facilitate the shopping experience?

4. What is the hardest thing about crossing the street?

5. Would a talking sign or other audible device make it easier? (Y/N)

6. Would such a device make you feel safer when crossing the street? (Y/N)

7. When you walk down a sidewalk would you like to be able to know what
stores you are passing, if you do not already know? (Y/N)

8. What type of aid do you use, cane, dog, etc.

9. Would you use a talking sign system? (Y/N)

10. How much would you be willing to pay for such a device?

11. What type of sounds would you prefer such a device make? (A human
voice, beeps, chirps, etc.)

12. Would you prefer the sounds to be on the sign to help locate it or on
a device that you carry?

13. Do you think this would improve the quality and or safety of a
visually impaired persons life? (Y/N)

14. How helpful would this device be to your daily life? (On a scale from
one to ten)

15. How important is space and the amount of devices you have to bring
with you on a daily basis? (Scale one to ten)

16. Would another piece of equipment be a problem? (Such as an earpiece to
avoid confusion from noise pollution) (Y/N)

17. Would you prefer to have an earpiece to hear the device? (Y/N)

18. Would it be better to have an earpiece as an option to plug into this
device? (Y/N)

19. What type of places do you think these devices should be incorporated?
(Supermarkets, street signs, cross walks, everywhere, etc.)

Suggestions: