VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:33:55 -0400
From: "John Mattioli" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "List, K1000" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 4:36 PM
Subject: ATTN: all Windows XP users!

Greetings,

At long last we, here at KESI, have found what we believe to be an
acceptable workaround for the problem some Windows XP users have
experienced
with Kurzweil 1000.

NOTE: It would appear that this problem MAY only occur when running
Windows
XP under the "Windows Classic" theme.  We haven't yet seen this problem
occur on machines running the "Windows XP" theme.  If you are running
"Windows XP" theme, and experiencing this problem, please let me know.

If you are currently running Kurzweil 1000 in compatibility mode or if
you
are currently having difficulty running Kurzweil 1000 at all, please do
the
following.

1. Open Windows explorer (press windows+e).

2. Navigate to your hard drive.

3. Navigate further to your "Program Files" directory.

4. Navigate yet further to your "Kurzweil Educational Systems"
directory.

5. Navigate one more time to the "Kurzweil 1000" directory.

6. Select the file Kurzweil 1000.exe.

7. Press alt+enter to bring up the properties dialog.

8. Press shift+tab to get to the tabs at the top of the dialog.

9. Press right arrow until you get to the compatibility tab.

10. Press tab.  If "Run in compatibility mode" is checked, uncheck it.

11. Tab to "disable visual themes" and check this check box.

12. Press OK.

13. Close explorer.

14. Run Kurzweil 1000.

15. If Kurzweil 1000 does not work, please send me e-mail ASAP.  Note
that
my e-mail here at work is very intermittent right now.  Feel free to
e-mail
me at

with any information regarding this issue.

John