VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:47:20 -0500
Nelida, I suggest that you contact the Assistive Technology Act Program in
your state.  AT Act Projects provide information about funding sources.  If
you live in New York, it is:
NEW YORK STATE TRAID PROJECT
Office of Advocate for Persons with Disabilities
One Empire State Plaza, Suite 1001
Albany, NY 12223-1150
Acting-Project Manager: Lisa Rosano-Kaczkowski
Phone: (518) 474-2825
Phone: (800) 522-4369 (V/TDD; In-State)
TDD: (518) 473-4231
FAX: (518) 473-6005
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Homepage: http://www.advoc4disabled.state.ny.us/TRAID_Project/technlog.htm

The National Association of the Visually Handicapped, http://www.navh.org/,
used to have support grouprs in New York City.  I just visited their website
and found nothing about support groups.  You can also contact the Council of
Citizens with Low Vision, International, 1-800-733-2258, and ask if they have
a local group in New York.  A third possibility is the Lighthouse for the
Blind in Manhatten. They have an excellent low vision clinic and may also have
a low vision support group.

Jan Knuth

>===== Original Message From "N. Q. R." <[log in to unmask]> =====
>Hello,
>
>I need to get some assistive devices: a CCTV reader (the Aladdin Pro has
>been recommended to me), a screen magnifier (Zoomtext), a portable reader
>(Liberty--also recommended) and a good set of binoculars.  They are
>fairly expensive, more that I can pay right now.  Does anyone know of a
>government program or private organization that will help me pay for
>these?
>
>Also, does anyone know of a support group for people under 50 with visual
>impairments that meets in New York?
>
>Nelida

>Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
>

>VICUG-L is the Visually Impaired Computer User Group List.
>To join or leave the list, send a message to
>[log in to unmask]  In the body of the message, simply type
>"subscribe vicug-l" or "unsubscribe vicug-l" without the quotations.
> VICUG-L is archived on the World Wide Web at
>http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/vicug-l.html

Janice L. Knuth, MSW, LSW
Training Coordinator
Pennsylvania's Initiative on Assistive Technology
Institute on Disabilities / UAP
Temple University
215 204-5397