VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 10:36:15 -0500
Deaf man sues AOL alleging discrimination

Damages sought in claim call center refused to hire disabled man

Tuesday, April 04, 2000

   By KARI LYNN HARLAND
   Standard-Examiner staff

   OGDEN -- George Davidson said when he applied for a job at the America
   Online Ogden Call Center, he was turned away just because he was deaf.

   Now he's suing the company for discriminating against him.

   In his lawsuit against AOL, Davidson, 26, claims he applied twice in
   the fall of 1997 and was told both times that AOL no longer hired deaf
   people. He said he was applying for a teletype-writer position or
   another non-phone job.

   Rich D'Amato, spokesman for AOL, denies the charge. "America Online
   has a policy of absolute nondiscrimination and equal employment," he
   said.

   Davidson said he is good with computers and types 80 words per minute,
   but the AOL human-resource representatives didn't even want to look at
   his resume. He said he was told he could apply, but he wasn't going to
   be hired.

   D'Amato said he couldn't comment on what Davidson was told, but
   according to the company's policy, nothing discriminatory should have
   been said. D'Amato also said there weren't any jobs open that Davidson
   could perform.

   "The positions being applied for were simply not being hired for," he
   said.

   D'Amato said they don't get a lot of calls over the teletype-writer
   and that position had been combined with other jobs. He said there are
   other positions deaf people can perform, such as e-mail and Instant
   Message corresponding. But these positions weren't available when
   Davidson applied, he said.

   In fact, no one has been hired for these positions since the center
   opened in 1996. Employees are moved up internally to fill these
   positions, after having worked phone positions.

   Davidson said this is the problem.

   Since the only non-phone positions are being filled by people who
   previously worked the phone positions, it basically means deaf people
   are no longer being hired, he said.

   D'Amato said he couldn't say how many deaf people work for the Ogden
   Call Center or when the last deaf person was hired, since they don't
   keep track of that kind of information.

   The case has been filed in federal court, but Davidson's attorney,
   Stephen Horvat, said the case probably won't go on trial until around
   May.

   "The main purpose is to establish that AOL discriminated against Mr.
   Davidson," Horvat said. "Any other person can walk off the street and
   be considered for employment, but since he's deaf, George wasn't."

   Davidson, who lives in Ogden and works at Cactus Red's and the
   Internal Revenue Service, said he is asking for punitive damages
   because AOL knew what it did was wrong.

   He said he also wants AOL to pay him the wages he would have made
   "because we all know I would have worked there if it weren't for my
   deafness.

   "I want the public to know what they have done .. It hurts me a lot
   knowing that the company think it's OK to say "We are no longer hiring
   deaf people.'"

   AOL's attorney denies almost all of Davidson's allegations. A company
   spokesman also noted that AOL's Ogden center received a 1999 Golden
   Key Award for Employer of the Year by the Utah Governor's Committee on
   Employment of People with Disabilities.

   The center was commended for reportedly having a teletype-writer in
   the break room, interpreters at all company meetings and sign language
   classes offered to immediate supervisors and co-workers.

   But Davidson and Horvat say they are confident the court will rule in
   their favor.

   "I have faith in the federal court, and I think that they will
   definitely see that AOL discriminates and will teach them that this is
   wrong -- totally wrong!" Davidson said.

   You can reach reporter Kari Lynn Harland at 625-4223 or