VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2017 14:30:00 -0800
To add to CathyAnne's post, ...

After I paste a web article into Word as unformatted text, I use Find
and Replace to do a lot more clean-up.

First, I get rid of extra spaces. In the Find field, I hit the space bar
twice, and in the Replace field, I hit the space bar once, pressing
alt+a to replace all. If Word tells me that 0 replacements were made,
I'm done, and I press enter on OK. If Word tells me something different,
I press enter on OK; then I hit alt+a again. And so on until I hear that
0 replacements were made.

Next, I get rid of the extra spaces at the beginnings and ends of
paragraphs. In the find field, I press space once and type caret p (
^p). In the Replace field, I type caret p (^p). Then I press alt+a. This
clears extra spaces from the ends. In the Find field, I type caret p
then hit the space bar once (^p ). In the Replace field, I type caret p
(^p). This clears extra spaces from the beginnings.

After that, I arrow down the document. Most of the time, paragraphs are
separated by a blank line. If this is the case, in the Find field, I
type Caret p twice (^p^p), and in the Replace field, I type ^m). Then I
press alt+a. This puts a page break between paragraphs. Then in the Find
field, I type one caret p (^p), and in the Replace field, I hit the
space bar once. This turns all the line breaks that are in the middle of
paragraphs into spaces. Finally, in the Find field, I type caret m (^m),
and in the Replace field, I type two caret p's (^p^p). Then I hit alt+a.
This puts a blank line between paragraphs. I may search for extra spaces
after that.

Once this is done, it's easy to use Words paragraph selection command
(F8 pressed two or three times) to highlight an entire paragraph of
junk, then hit delete to erase it.

This all sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but it cuts down
considerably on the time I spend cleaning up a document.