VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 11:36:42 -0500

I have seen that many people are hitting the "Panic Button" because of
the notice which appeared last week regarding the discontinuation of the
Web Braille Site.  It's so bad that the President of a national
organization has already written an article which will appear in their
June publication.
I, for one, am not one who is hitting the panic button.  I believe that
something must have happened which is requiring the temporary closure of
the site while some things are attended to.  I do think, however, NLS
could have done a better job with their notice.  I think they should
have added the word temporary in the notice so people wouldn't get the
wrong idea.  I'm guessing somebody may have hacked the site or
something, but I don't know for sure.
Below is something I saw from another List.  Included  in this posting
is a note from Frank Kurt Cylke, and even though it's short, I think it
got right to the point.

Dear Mr. Cylke,
I know that you don't know me, so please forgive my barging into your
inbox. I got your address from someone who passed it along on an e-mail
discussion
list pertaining to the use of the BrailleNote note-taker.
I'm writing to you this evening to tell you that I was quite surprised
and
disappointed yesterday to find that the Web Braille service is shut
down.
The
Web Braille service has been my primary source of electronic Braille
books
for the past six years, and, as an avid reader, I can tell you that the
removal
of the service was a shocking blow.  It will be sorely missed by all of
us
throughout the country who have derived immense pleasure from being able
to freely download books whenever we get the urge to read. Thus I'm
compelled to write to you this evening, as others undoubtedly will,
imploring NLS to consider reinstating the service.  If that's not
possible, for technical or security reasons, it is my sincere hope that
a suitable
alternative, with an even greater wealth of reading material, will be
provided
as soon as possible.
  Sincerely,
Tom Lange

Mr. Cylke kindly replied:

 Mr. LANGE: Web-braille will be back soon. Thank you for your thoughtful

message. Kurt Cylke ... P.S. Please feeel free to "barge in" anytime.
Kurt
Cylke

Frank Kurt Cylke, Director
National Library Service for the