VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Verhoeven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 10:57:31 +0200
Hi all,

Today I visit the homepage of "Toys for children who are blind or visually
impaired". After loading this page I got tears my visually impaired eyes.
Not because I was glad that such important information for the kids and
their parent was on the web, but because of because the pages are not
accessible!
The tears in my eyes changes to a real river after I read that the American
Foundation of the Blind has to do something with this website.
It is not my daily job to visit websites and analyse them to see if they
are accessible. But I'm doing this on a volunteerly base. I try to give
people information about how they can make their webpages more accessible
for everybody. I do this on my The Screen Magnifiers Homepage, that has a
special Accessibility corner and I do that as co-editor of a Dutch e-zine
about accessibility.
I can understand that a lot of webpages on the Internet are not accessible
because the webmaster have not the knowledge about accessibility. But I can
not understand, that a website created on the subject of toys for people
who are blind or visually impaired can be so inaccessible and I can not
understand that a blind organisation like the American Foundation for the
Blind can agree with such an inaccessible website?
It seems to me that the American Foundation for the Blind has no idea what
the problems are for visually impaired people regarding access to the
Internet.

What is wrong with this website?

If you disable your browser loading images or use a text-oriented browser
like Lynx or Net-Tamer you only see IMAGE IMAGE IMAGE in the menu.
They "forget" to use ALT tags with that images. I think it takes 15 minutes
to make this website accessible. I could not find an E-Mail address for
feedback.

If somebody knows who is responsible for this website? Please forwared them
this message.
You can find the website at:
   http://www.toy-tma.com/PUBLICATIONS/guide97/index.html

Regards Peter Verhoeven