VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Vaglia - TRFN Volunteer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Vaglia - TRFN Volunteer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:47:55 -0400
Highlights may in clude:  the release of Window-eyes 2.01, info on
Flextalk, a software based synthesizer which works through a soundcard and
an update on the One-step Audio Publisher, software which allows one to
record and listen to sound files over the Internet.

You can learn more about Phil Scovel's Blind Internet Phone Book by
sending a message to:
[log in to unmask] or through Phil's web site at
http://www.redwhiteandblue.org/blindmenu.html

Table of contents and news items follow.
Jim
Start of text.

NEWS ITEMS

This listing contains NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS of interest for the
month of June 1998

Table Of Contents

ITEM # 1: Subject: WE 2.1 has been released
ITEM #2: Subject: Audibill - a free currency identifier
ITEM #3: Subject: Audibill, a currency recognizer
ITEM #4: Subject: Medical schools and the Blind
ITEM #5: Subject:  Contributions for Newsletter wanted
ITEM #6: Subject: Praises for the folks at pkware
ITEM #7: Subject: documentation for the new pkzip program for windows 95
ITEM #8: Subject: new list is being formed
ITEM #9: Subject: FlexTalk Info
ITEM #10: Subject:  New GUITALK list

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 11:08:33 -0500
From: "Michael D. Lawler" [log in to unmask]
ITEM # 1: Subject: WE 2.1 has been released

I am pleased to announce the release of Window-Eyes version 2.1.  Version
2.1 is packed with new features and enhancements.  As many of you may
know,
we have been offering public betas, which are pre-releases of 2.1, for the
last several months.  We have been receiving enormous feedback from those
users who chose to work with the beta copies.  We have listened to those
users and incorporated many of their suggestions.  After all, who knows
better of what a screen reader should and should not do?  Some of the new
features include:

-) Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA) support has been fully
incorporated.  Microsoft has been working hard to develop a standard that
main stream applications can use which allow adaptive applications such as
Window-Eyes access to the application program.  As time passes, more and
more applications will support this technology and Window-Eyes will be
ready.  We are working hand in hand with Microsoft as this technology
evolves.

Currently applications such as Office 97 and Internet Explorer 3.0x
support
MSAA.  We have taken this new ability to its limits with Internet Explorer
3.0x.  Remember those very difficult to read WEB pages?  Those with lots
of
columns and frames.  Window-Eyes 2.1 offers a new MSAA Application Mode.
This gives extensive control for those applications that are supported.
Internet Explorer 3.0x is the first of such programs.  The integration of
Window-Eyes 2.1 and Internet Explorer 3.0x makes reading WEB pages
extremely simple.  Once you see how these two programs work with the WEB,
you'll finally feel welcomed to the wonderful world of the Internet.

-) Many users of Window-Eyes were not comfortable with our previous
keyboard layout.  This layout was mnemonic and resembled the layout in
Vocal-Eyes.  However, many of the keystrokes would conflict with Windows
95
and/or the application programs.  We therefore listened to our users and
did an extensive review of a new layout and proposed it to many of our
existing users.  After several revisions, we have standardized on a new
layout this is still very intuitive but doesn't conflict with other
applications.  This new layout has received great praise from our beta
testers.  However, those of you that really liked the old layout can
easily
change it back.  Also, those with laptops can easily change to a layout
this is suited for the layout typically found on laptop keyboards.  And of
course, you still have the ability to change the layout to your exact
liking with our simple hotkey dialog.

-) A new auto speak tool tips option has been added which when enabled
will
automatically speak tool tips as the mouse moves over graphic images.

-) A new hot key that will give you access to the Windows 95 systray has
been added.  This dialog scans the systray and puts a list of the items
found in a list box.  It allows you to single or double click the left or
right mouse buttons on any of the options in the systray.

Many blind people don't even know the systray exists simply because there
was no easy access to it in the past.  With most screen readers, you are
forced to grope around the systray with the mouse pointer and try to get
it
to work.  With Window-Eyes 2.1, it is all automatic and very simple.

-) A new hot key that will read the default button in a dialog has been
added.

-) A Select Synthesizer dialog has been added to the file menu.  This
feature will let you switch among synthesizers on the fly.   This means
you
can now easily switch between all the synthesizers that Window-Eyes
supports.  The last synthesizer you used will be the default when you next
start Window-Eyes.

-) A drag and drop hotkey has been added.  The first time you press this
hotkey it will say "mark."  It will remember where the mouse was when you
pressed it and the next time you press the key it will prompt you with a
dialog that allows you to either drop what you marked or place a new mark.
This hotkey allows you to easily drag and drop items or highlight large
amounts of text.

-) We have added support for the Keynote Gold Multi-Media, DECtalk
Access32, SMP, FlexTalk, and SSIL synthesizers.  You can use the SSIL
option to use Window-Eyes with any of the SSIL synthesizer drivers which
will allow you to run Window-Eyes with Open Book and other applications
that use SSIL to produce their own speech.

-) The ability to automatically shutdown Window-Eyes has been added.  This
is used for dedicated talking applications such as Open Book.  Of course
once you leave Open Book (even if you just alt-tab away) Window-Eyes will
automatically start up again.

-) Index numbers have been added to radio buttons so you can tell how many
radio buttons are in a group.  You can control this feature with the top
bottom index, and current index settings in the verbosity miscellaneous
menu.

-) Window-Eyes now tells you the depth you are in for a treeview.  It also
tells you which item in the branch you are on and when you expand a branch
it tells you how many items are in it.  Finally, when you use the speak
summary hotkey it tells you the names of each level in the tree starting
from the top and ending with the current level.

-) Window-Eyes 2.1 has been greatly optimized for speed.  You will find
Window-Eyes 2.1 to be one of the most responsive Windows screen readers.

-) Stability has always been a big concern with Windows users.  We have
gone to great strides to make Window-Eyes extremely stable.

-) Window-Eyes 2.1 still works with all video systems on the market.  You
are not forced to purchase a lower end video card or disable the enhanced
features of your high-end card.  If your video card works with Windows 95,
it works with Window-Eyes.

-) A new tape tutorial explaining the basics of Window-Eyes has been
created and ships with every copy of Window-Eyes including the upgrades.
Many of you may be familiar with the "Speaking Of" tutorials produced by
CrissCross Technologies.  CrissCross Technologies is in the business of
creating tutorials for blind people and does a very professional job.  We
therefore went to CrissCross for the production of this tutorial.  We are
sure you will find it invaluable.

The list of features and enhancements goes on and on.  If you upgrade from
an older version of Window-Eyes you will receive a readme file that gives
an extensive list of changes including bug fixes since version 2.0.  I'm
sure you will be impressed.

Window-Eyes 2.1 still sells for $595.00.  If you currently own a copy of
Vocal-Eyes 3.0, you receive a $100.00 discount bringing the price of
Window-Eyes to $495.00.

If you currently own Window-Eyes 2.0, you can upgrade to 2.1 free of
charge.  That's right FREE!  Shipping charges apply to locations outside
of
the United States.  This free upgrade is limited until July 1st, 1998.  If
you wish to receive the upgrade you can either down load it from our ftp
site or give us a call.  The ftp address is:

ftp://ftp.gwmicro.com/we/we21.zip

If you are using the Everlock version (used outside of the U.S.) the
address is:

ftp://ftp.gwmicro.com/we/we21evl.zip

If you are using the Dongle version (used outside of the U.S.) the address
is:

ftp://ftp.gwmicro.com/we/we21dmh.zip

This upgrade must be installed over a working 2.0 copy.  If you install it
without a working 2.0 copy, it will not function.

If you currently own a version of Window-Eyes less than version 2.0, you
can upgrade to 2.1 for $75.00 plus shipping.  This upgrade must be ordered
from GW Micro and can not be downloaded.

All 2.1 upgrades come with a new set of diskettes and a tape tutorial.
The
diskettes contain the 2.1 manual and can be read using your favorite word
processor.  If you wish to receive a 2.1 print and/or tape manual, the
cost
is $10.00 per format.

For complete information, please give your local GW Micro dealer a call or
feel free to contact GW Micro directly.

GW Micro, Inc.
725 Airport North Office Park
Fort Wayne, IN  46825
(219) 489-3671
email: [log in to unmask]

Michael D. Lawler
FIDO Michael.Lawler at 1:236/55 Voice 219-489-3671
Fax 219-489-2608 BBS 219-489-5281
Internet [log in to unmask]
GW Micro, Inc., Product Support and Development

Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 06:13:08 -0400
From: Stephen Baum [log in to unmask]
ITEM #2: Subject: Audibill - a free currency identifier

Kurzweil Educational Systems is pleased to announce the immediate
availability of Audibill, a currency recognizer that runs under Windows
'95, Windows '98, or Windows NT. It supports all of the Hewlett Packard
scanners. Its user interface consists of one simple dialog, and should
work well with any windows screen reader. It will recognize U.S.
currency, including both varieties of 50 and 100 dollar bills, for those
of us lucky enough to have them. Best of all, its free.

Its available for download at our new FTP site. We haven't yet switched
that site over to its permanent domain name, so the easiest way to get
there is to go to our web site at http://www.kurzweiledu.com, press the
link to the "What's New" page, read through to the last paragraph, and
press the additional link for the FTP site. The file to download at that
site is AUDIBL01.EXE. Run that executable once you have downloaded it,
and it will unzip the appropriate files into C:\Audibill (by default,
you can change that if you wish). You can then run
C:\Audibill\Audibill.exe to recognize currency.

If you operate an FTP site of your own, feel free to post AUDIBL01.EXE
on it as well.

Enjoy!

Stephen

From: [log in to unmask]
  Hello.  My name is Sean, and I'm promoting a new e-zine called Lynx
Links, which is of special interest to both blind and sighted users alike.
It contains reviews to text-heavy, graphics-light internet resources.

  Here's the press kit:

Announcing Lynx Links, the newsletter for the discerning Lynx user.

ill-conceived tables, slow-loading graphics-heavy sites, and [SUBMIT]
buttons that you discover are undefined to Lynx only after spending
fifteen minutes filling out the form, we have created Lynx Links.

The sites reviewed in this digest are, naturally, Lynx-friendly.  But this
does not render them useless to users of those other browsers.  They are,
in fact, some of the best sites we've found on the net, and we highly
recommend them to all surfers, not just Lynx users.

We feature an eclectic mix of sites, reflecting the interests of our
staff.  But then, our staff consists of regular folks who surf around just
like you, so we're sure you'll find at least one bookmark-worthy gem in
each digest.

Enjoy the latest issue!

Lynx Links Contact & Subscription Information

To SUBSCRIBE, send a blank message to:

To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a blank message to:

Comments regarding Lynx Links:

The Lynx Links website URL is:
http://members.tripod.com/~lynxlinks

Backissues are archived at:
http://members.tripod.com/~lynxlinks/archives.html

Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 14:37:44 -0400
From: Will Smith [log in to unmask]
ITEM #4: Subject: Medical schools and the Blind

Hi,

        I thought others might want to hear of  this news item which
appeared over the weekend.  I am delighted to hear of this fellow's
getting accepted at one medical school and saddened that so many
rejected an outstanding candidate.

Will

   SOUTH  BEND,  Ind.  (ITN)  *  Timothy  Cordes  earned  straight  A's as
biochemistry major at Notre Dame and is giving the  valedictory  address
at
commencement Sunday.  Then he embarks on a seven-year course of study at
the
University of Wisconsin's Medical School.
   That's all in spite of being blind.  He's believed to be only the
second
totally blind person ever accepted by an American school of medicine.
   Cordes was born with limited vision because of a genetic condition
called
Leber's disease, and he was completely blind by age 14.
   Relatives   and   professors   said   he   considers   his  blindness
an
inconvenience, not a major disability.
   "I went to class and studied hard and hung out some,  just like
everybody
else in college,  and my hard work paid off," said Cordes, from Cedar
Falls,
Iowa.
   "It doesn't do you any good to be overly proud.  It's great to know
your
strengths  and  to know what you can do.  But when you overestimate,
that's
when you get into trouble."
   Cordes studied new  antibiotics  in  the  laboratory  of  professor
Paul
Helquist.
   "He  is  the brightest student with whom I have worked during 24 years
of
university teaching," Helquist said.
   However, although Cordes graduated with 3.991 average,  the University
of
Wisconsin  was  the  only  school that accepted him out of the eight he
sent
applications.
   "It's  never  fun  to  get rejected," said Cordes.  Cordes has dreamed
of
doing research since he was 12 and has no desire to  practice  medicine.
"I
love science.  It's what I do.  It's how I think," he said.

ITEM #5: Subject:  Contributions for Newsletter wanted

From: Sarah Jane Blake [log in to unmask]
Pass this along if you know of others who might like to contribute.

I am in the process of putting together the first issue of my
quarterly newsletter.  My target date is November 1, 1998.  I am
seeking contributions for many sections of the newsletter.  I
expect to be able to make this a resource which can serve the
needs of bline children, their parents, blind teenagers and
adults, and professionals.  Following is an outline of the
regular features I intend to include.  All but the Editor's
Corner are open for contributions.  If you would like to submit a
contribution, please use one of the following methods:

Send as an ASCII text file to me at:

Send a typed or braille copy to me at:

Sarah J. Blake
1722 Chippawa
Pasadena, TX 77504

I will recirculate this announcement in July, as my address will
be changing.  All contributions sent to this address before then
will reach me.

                           PERCEPTIONS
   The Newsletter for People with Visual Impairments and Their
Families

                            Features

Editor's Corner

Activity Ideas for Children

Teens' Table: for ages 13-21

Parent Tips: advice and information about parenting a blind child

Profiles:: articles about blind people and the professionals who
work with them
Legislative News
Technology: News, Views, and Reviews

Guide Dogs: tips, tricks, stories, Etc.

Poetry Corner

Fiction

Ophthalmologist's Corner: articles contributed by
ophthalmologists about eye care, eye conditions, the doctor-
patient relationship, etc.

Optometrist's Corner: articles about corrective lenses,
procedures, the doctor-patient relationship, etc.

On-Line Resources: reviews of Web sites, information about
mailing lists, where to get demos of software, etc.

Off-Line Resources: information about products and where to get
them, profiles of organizations, etc.

Book Reviews

Recipes

Tidbits: items for sale, announcements, pen pals, etc.

Sarah Blake
Administrator: healing-Hearts, BVI-Teens, and BVI-Parents mailing lists
and
Healing-Hearts MUSH
http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/9641/
Email: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], or

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 08:58:36 -0700
From: "Paul F. Henrichsen" [log in to unmask]
ITEM #6: Subject: Praises for the folks at pkware

Hello listers.  I am cross-posting this message.  I want to make as many
visually impaired folks aware of something.  Many of you know that the
folks at Pkware have released a new 32 bit command like pkzip program.
Their windows program has been out for quite a while, but is a bit
inaccessible when dragging or dropping things you want zipped.  The
command
line version, pkzip 2.5, works within a dos box under windows 95 and is
completely speech friendly.
I contacted the company a few days ago to ask if they had any
documentation
in an accessible format.  They stated that they did not know, but would
check.  I stated that ascii text would be nice, but even if it were in
adobe pdf format, I could convert it as I had the adobe plug in for the
acrobat reader.

I was very surprised when, yesterday, my e-mail box contained two manuals
in pdf format.  One of these was the getting started manual and the other
was the user's manual for the new pkzip command line program.
I have converted these to text and have encouraged the folks at Pkware to
have text based copies around in case any visually impaired user wishes to
have them.

Something should be said for a company who goes out of their way to make
sure that each and every customer is satisfied and has documentation in
accessible format.
If you use pkzip, but haven't purchased the program yet, I urge you to
support Pkware and do so.   Be sure to ask for the documentation in an
accessible format as ascii text files.  They should be able to convert
these for you and send them to you via e-mail.
 I have placed the shareware version of pkz25532c.exe on my ftp site.  I
might have the name wrong here, but I believe this is it.  Anyway, the
description states that this is the windows 95 command line version of
pkzip.
Again, thanks and hats off to the good folks at Pkware.

                                        Paul Henrichsen
|http://www.thesocket.com/~henrich|
|ftp.thesocket.com /pub/henrich|

Date: Wed, 20 May 19983:53:50 -0700
From: "Paul F. Henrichsen" [log in to unmask]
ITEM #7: Subject: documentation for the new pkzip program for windows 95

Hello listers.  I have converted the documentation for the pk250c32.exe
program from acrobat pdf to ascii text.  I have placed the two files on my
ftp site in a file called "pk250txt.exe".  This is a self extracting file
containing the start up manual and the users manual.  I just converted the
files and did a quick format job so the lines would wrap to under 80
characters.  Other than this, nothing has been done to the files.
The file can be found listed directly underneath its shareware counterpart
and is near the top of the listing.
There are many other files on my site including the new sss11 personal
assistant program and many others.  I will soon have the latest issue of
the audyssey gaming magazine for the blind on the site as well.
Enjoy.

                                        Paul Henrichsen
|http://www.thesocket.com/~henrich|
|ftp.thesocket.com /pub/henrich|

ITEM #8: Subject: new list is being formed

A new list is being formed to discuss common computer software and
hardware
problems, share tips, and advice on how to get the most from your PC and
PC
applications.

This site is sponsored by KeckTech, a small company who teaches
individuals
how to use their PC and PC applications.  The mailing list includes both
sighted and blind users who are interested in getting the most from their
computers.

address where indicated at the bottom of the page.

Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 00:14:13 -0400
From: Bert Cohen [log in to unmask]
ITEM #9: Subject: FlexTalk Info

I thought you might be interested in hearing some things about FlexTalk.

FlexTalk 2.1 is now available as standalone software in CD format for
speech
output generation.    A JFW authorization is NOT required for use with JFW
under Windows 95 or NT.   Window Eyes, Window Bridge and ASAW all also
work
fine.   A SoundBlaster 16 compatible sound card is required.   The Ensoniq
card, in PCI format, works well.  A Pentium host is also required.
FlexTalk
will consume about 14 MB hard disk space for program storage.  It requires
about 2MB RAM for execution.  FlexTalk is a Microsoft SAPI compliant
application.  FlexTalk software is NOT copy protected.

Freestanding FlexTalk presently initially offers 2 canned  voices and is
highly customizable.  Each voice can be altered to suit the ear of the
user.
More than 21 different properties, including sex, vocal tract size, pitch,
volume and speed are available  to govern voice and speaking
characteristics.  New voices can also be created and named as desired.  In
addition, FlexTalk provides a pronunciation dictionary.  For instance,
words
that would otherwise sound alike can be set to be said differently.  Also,
words can be set to be said differently depending upon the part of speech
in
which they are used.  FlexTalk permits playing audio CD's and allows
output
of system sounds.

FlexTalk settings are available under the FlexTalk 2.1 Configuration icon
in
the Windows 95 Control Panel.   Once FlexTalk is loaded and in operation
with a screen reader, this icon is largely accessible to speech.  However,
sighted help is advisable.  The Help button on the FlexTalk Properties
sheet
contains all the user instructions.

FlexTalk is available in both North America and Europe.

FlexTalk is priced at $100.00 plus $5.00 for S&H, per license, to end
users
in North America.  If shipment is to a Massachusetts  address, please add
$5.00 for Mass sales tax.  Qualified corporate and institutional purchase
orders are accepted.  Private end user orders require payment with order.
Your personal check is acceptable.  For US orders,  send your payment to
Adaptive Assists,  PO  Box 211, Wayland MA 01778. The software is supplied
in CD format and will be sent by return US mail.

Bert Cohen,
Adaptive Assists

This next section is my  response to those having the "problem" that
FlexTalk spells out words that are in all capital letters:

Here are 11 easy steps to curing the "problem."

1.  Click on "Start" button
2.  Click on "Settings" icon
3.  Click on "Control Panel" icon
4.  Double Click on "FlexTalk 2.1 Configuration" icon
5.  Click on the name of the voice  that you want to change.  Each
FlexTalk
voice, whether a default voice or any one of many that you may have
constructed yourself, carries its own individual settings.  This even
includes speaking speed. Voice characteristics are not  global settings
under FlexTalk.
6.  Click on "Speakers" tab
7.  Click on "Reading Style" tab
8.  Click on "Words in upper case letters are read as a word" radio button

This unclicks the "Words in upper case letters are spelled out" radio
button
and it cures your "problem."

9.  Click on "Apply" button
10.  Click on "OK" button

This closes the FlexTalk 2.1 Configuration dialog box

11.  Close the "Control Panel"

FlexTalk is available to end users for $100.00 plus $5.00 S & H.  Mass
residents must add $5.00 sales tax.

Bert Cohen
Adaptive Assists
Supplier of the freestanding version of FlexTalk.

ITEM #10: Subject:  New GUITALK list

     I am pleased to be able to announce a new list called GUI-TALK.
The purpose of GUI-TALK is to discuss the use of the Graphical User
Interface, (GUI,) by blind and visually impaired persons.  The GUI
includes,

but is not limited to, Microsoft Windows 3.X, Windows 95, Windows 98,
Windows NT, X-Windows, the Macintosh OS, etc.  The GUI can also include
graphical interfaces used on consumer electronics devices, office
equipment,

bank machines, etc.

     GUI-TALK provides a forum where we can ask questions and get answers
to those inquiries.  We can share tips and tricks, discuss software and
hardware used to access the GUI, and more.  This list is sponsored by the
National Federation of the Blind and will occasionally carry announcements
interest to NFB members and our friends and supporters.  GUI-TALK also
gives

you access to the resources and information provided by the International
Braille and Technology Center for the Blind, the world's largest
demonstration and evaluation center for computer technology used by blind
persons.  GUI-TALK will be moderated, and off-topic messages will not be
permitted.  People violating this rule will be warned privately via
e-mail.
If violation of this rule continues, their names will be removed from the
mailing list by the moderator.

     To subscribe to GUI-TALK, send a message to

Leave the subject of the message blank, and in the body put:

subscribe gui-talk

If you would rather receive the list in a digest format, one message per
day
,
then put the following line in the body of the message:

subscribe gtalk-d

"[log in to unmask]" with out the quotes.  Use of this address
will automatically post your message to all subscribers to the GUI-TALK
mailing list via the Internet.  At the same time, your message will be
posted to the GUI-TALK Forum carried on the NFB NET BBS, which is message
area 14.

     To unsubscribe from this list, please send your message to
the address: "[log in to unmask]"  Leave the subject blank and
put:

unsubscribe gui-talk

in the body of the message.  To unsubscribe from the digest, put:

unsubscribe gtalk-d

instead.  For help with all Listserv commands, send a message with a blank
subject to "[log in to unmask] " and put "help" in the body of the
message.

     If you have any questions, you can send mail to the GUI-TALK
moderator
David Andrews at "[log in to unmask]"  You
can also reach the NFB NET BBS via Telnet now by pointing your
Telnet client to "nfbnet.org" or "209.98.54.33."

     Thanks for your interest in GUI-TALK and the National
Federation of the blind.

David Andrews

David Andrews ([log in to unmask])
or BBS: (telnet to nfbnet.org) or call (612) 696-1975

                            End Of Document