VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2016 00:01:55 -0400
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif., March 25, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- A California
Judge has granted summary judgment to a visually-impaired plaintiff who
was unable
to access the website of luggage retailer Colorado Bag'n & Baggage.

Plaintiff Edward Davis filed suit in 2015 (case #CIBDS1504682), claiming
that he was unable to access the Colorado Bag'n & Baggage website
because the
content on the website was not accessible to blind individuals.  Judge
Brian F. Foster agreed and issued judgment in favor of Davis, ruling
"Plaintiff
presented sufficient evidence that he was denied full and equal
enjoyment of the goods, services, privileges, and accommodations offered
by Defendant because
of his disability."  The Judge also awarded Davis $4,000.00 in damages.
The ruling, believed to be the first-ever summary judgment in favor of a
visually-impaired
Plaintiff claiming that a website violates the Americans with
Disabilities Act, also entitles Davis to recover his attorneys' fees.

Davis' attorney, Victoria Knowles of the Newport Trial Group, lauded the
decision: "We are very grateful that the Court agreed that corporate
websites
must be accessible to individuals with disabilities.  This ruling will
have implications far and wide."  Added Newport Trial Group's Managing
Partner David
Reid: "We are fortunate that we continue to do well by doing good."

Source:
http://tinyurl.com/h2s6see

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]