VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Flor Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Flor Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 01:50:02 -0000
Mike,

If Google gets its way with book publishers, it will include books in
copyright as well.  The number of books available far surpasses the numbers
that are available via Project Gutenberg, from which most etext
out-of-copyright sources spring.  Whether Google does get its way with
publishers, however, is a knotty question.  But the principle is good:
because, so far, the books in Googlebooks have not been accessible to us.
(At least, only some cover page material has been accessible, to my
knowledge.)  So, Google has found an alliance.  How much that is worth, we
may see in due course.  There are also questions of US vs. copyrights of
other jurisdictions  which probably will have to be ironed out in these
processes.  Thus, we are seeing beginnings of some movement here.