VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:07:30 -0700
Hi All,

I know some people here will tell me to ask this question on an Apple
mailing list. I'm asking here because Apple lists are too much
information and too much chaos for what I want to know, so I hope people
will be patient with me.

Basically, I want to know what the difference is between an iPod Touch
and an iPhone, and I want to know what the latest generation of the
touch is.

As I've mentioned here before, I do some translating. I've translated
cell phone apps for Android, which is my preferred platform, as well as
for iOS. While I work, I like to try the apps out so I'm sure I'm using
the most appropriate translations, which aren't always the most obvious
or the most literal. Beyond that, each operating system has its own way
of talking about things. For example, android users swipe while iOS
users flick. Anyway, I have an iPhone that I dust off when I have a
translation to do. It's old enough to have missed out on the iOS 8
update, and I just did a translation for an app not available on earlier
versions, so I'm thinking it's time to update my hardware. I don't get
enough iOS translation work to justify buying a new iPhone, and since I
wouldn't use it for calls, I can't justify buying it for other reasons.

Based on what I've read, it sounds like the iPod Touch is basically an
iPhone without the phone. It also sounds like iPhone apps all work on
the iPod. Is this true?

Also, the various Apple websites I've read don't specify a model or
generation number. If I decide to buy a Touch somewhere else, how do I
know I'm getting the latest hardware? Is there a version number, like
iPod touch twelfth generation?

Along the same lines, are there plans/rumors of a new model coming up?
I'd like something that will receive updates for a couple of years.

Thanks, and sorry for the off topic.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]