VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:38:45 -0700
No argument with what's been written as we consider this subject from many
angles except for one really big misconception.  I have been hearing
repeatedly that "such a small market".  This is inaccurate.  You are all
thinking of only the current JAWS and WE using community in the U.S.  Yes,
that is a relatively small group, though big enough.  However, you are
forgetting that we are talking in the case of Microsoft of a world market
and in that number is not only those who already use screen reading
software, but all of those who might if it were easy to use and affordable.
WE are talking in that case somewhere around 100 million people based on UN
statistics.  By any measure that is a majorly significant and attractive
market.  I also don't see any reason why we cannot see two different, but
equal, considerations in screen reading products.  That is, I see no reason
why a screen reader cannot be "out of the box" simple for a beginner,
perhaps like System Access, and yet have tools and options like JAWS for
advanced power users.  Microsoft Office is like that for instance.  It
works, and works simply for a beginner who wants to do basic word processing
or simple spreadsheets.  But, if you are a power user who does complicated
documents, or publishing, or multi-level financial analysis, then that same
software has those advanced features to keep you busy and learning for
years.

Seems simple really.  It's a matter of a desire on the part of a developer,
Microsoft, or a third party company, to actually make it happen.

Bill