VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:22:27 -0600
From: "Karyn Campbell" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Illinois Discussion List" <[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>;
"sasi Discussion List" <[log in to unmask]>; "ACB Discussion List"
<[log in to unmask]>; "BITS Discussion List" <[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>;

"AADB Discussion List" <[log in to unmask]>; "'Public list for posting news
stories of interest'" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:57 AM
Subject: [acb-l] Important AVG update problem

http://wgnradio.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46440&Itemid=2
> 49
>
> I hope this saves someone a major headache.
>
> Karyn campbell, [log in to unmask]
> ----start of C-Net article
> November 11, 2008 11:24 AM PST
> AVG update cripples some Windows XP systems
> Posted by Robert Vamosi     On Tuesday an update for AVG 8 suggested that
> Windows system file is a Trojan horse, and users who delete the file form
> the
> system could leave their Windows XP systems endlessly rebooting or unable
>
> reboot at all. The problem only affects users of AVG 8 products running
> the
> Dutch, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish language versions of
> Windows
> XP.
> AVG immediately sent out a corrected update to its customers, including
> those
> using the free editions of AVG.
> A representative for AVG said, "AVG is actively working to remedy the
> problem
> some users are experiencing related to the most recent update to
> commercial
> and
> free versions of AVG 7.5 and AVG 8.0 in some languages. A number of users
> who
> installed the update mistakenly received a warning that the Windows system
> file
> user32.dll product version 5.1.2600.3099 was infected with a Trojan virus
> and
> were prompted to delete a file essential to the operation of Windows XP."
> In response, the Czech antivirus company has posted details and a fix tool
> on
> its site.
> For users unable to use their Windows XP machines, AVG says they "should
> contact
> their AVG reseller or ask a friend to download the information and fix
> tool
> for
> them."
> AVG has suffered some embarrassing glitches of late. Last month, an AVG
> update
> declared some ZoneAlarm firewall files to be part of a Trojan horse. In
> July
> AVG
> had to reconfigure its Linkscanner tool after various Web sites complained
> about the increased traffic as a result of the
> tool's proactive scanning for malware.
> 11:35 AM

> Join the Monthly Monetary Support program (MMS) and help improve tomorrow
> today in ACB.
> For details, contact Dr. Ron Milliman, MMS Program Committee Chair, by
> e-mail:
> [log in to unmask] or by phone at 270-782-9325 and get started making
> tomorrow look brighter today in ACB!
>
> * ACB-L is maintained and brought to you as a service      *
> * of the American Council of the Blind.                    *
> --
with the word, unsubscribe in the subject field.

Other email lists available from MCB include:
ATI - A general discussion of adaptive technology.  To join, send a blank
EMail message to:
Chat - A general discussion list.  Just about anything goes.  To Join, send
a blank EMail message to:

Visit the MCB home Page at:
WWW.MoBlind.Org

Checked by AVG.