VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:05:20 -0600
Yes, and a cell phone company could partner with a re-seller to install
the software, sell the phone and calling plans and service the phones
like storefront outlets do.  The phones would be at the same price as the
mainstream phones.  While the supported accessible feature set is more,
it is a solution that the cell phone companies could implement right away
while a more flexible or modest solution is available.

It is like optical character recognition programs for the blind, such as
the K1000 or the Open Book.  They are the digital version of 100 bladed
Swiss Army knives when compared to mainstream OCR products.
Interestingly, the programs also cost a grand to purchase.  Given that
the blind is a small customer base, it is easier to offer one product
with everything in it rather than multiple kinds of products with
different features and benefits.  There is the cost of ongoing
development and support for multiple products compared to a single
product.

My sense of the cell phone issue is that much project management and
service delivery expertise has been devoted to number portability.  Once
the companies feel comfortable that they can handle nearly all number
switch requests without error, then there will be room to resume focus on
other projects, such as cell phone access.

After reading the FCC rules, I believe that the large national cell phone
service providers should at least be starting a pilot with a limited
number of users offering phones, software installation, and service
during 2004 to comply with 255.  Certainly, they need to figure out how
to provide such an offering, but if there is no clearly defined program
with benchmarks in place during the next year, it does raise questions of
commitment.

Kelly