VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 09:35:43 +0400
Hello all,
I thought several people on the list would find the following message
regarding free email on the web interesting.
Jim Vaglia

From: Bud Keith <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

because of the recent questions on hot mail, i'm forwarding the
following message from a sighted person.  keeping that in mind, i
entrust the information and favorable response to each of you for your
personal evaluation:

As a result of my problems yesterday with my computer,
I finally heard
about a new e-mail program called hotmail. It's free. easy. pretty nice.
You can sign up free on the spot on the Web. And, best of all, you can
access your e-mail messages anywhere in the world that you can get to a
computer with Internet access. In many places you can find computers with
access in the local library, etc. To start, go to the hotmail site and
enter your log-in name and password. You can keep your existing e-mail
account and it's very easy to set it up to forward your mail to it if
you're going to be traveling. It has nice filters. A poor address book.
Nice GUI. Not every control in the world, but okay. You actually read your
messages on the Web site. The moneymaker for them are the ads which appear
at the top of the page. I have learned to tune those out completely very
quickly.

But it saved my day and enabled me to get my e-mail again today while my
ISP's DNS server remained down.

The URL is http://www.hotmail.com

I realize this is off-topic, but as so many of you travel around, I knew
some of you would benefit from this service. I consider it a backup
account.

Enjoy!