VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2008 08:10:06 -0700
Hi to all.

Thanks to all of you for your responses.  I have decided to post my response on Ray's message, because it appears he is most correct with his response.

I did a complete update of JFW 9.0 last night (it took over 2 hours, because I am using a 56k modem--will be going cable shortly).  I called Technical Support and spoke with Reginald this morning.  While I told him that my RAM was 128MB, I have since learned that it is 256MB.  In either case, he and Ray are in agreement--I really need at least 512MB of RAM to run everything.  I have reloaded JAWS 5.1 on my system and am running it alongside JAWS 9.0 (with updates).  The sluggishness of the tab key and other keys is not as much a problem with JAWS 5.1, probably because it uses less memory.

I am probably going to wind up buying a whole new computer system (I lost the use of my DVD drive access as the result of a botched restore effort back in January, and I have some booting issues), so I'll probably wait until the new computer (whatever brand that may be) before upgrading to Internet Explorer 7.

Again, thank you all for your assistance.

Ted Chittenden