VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kristin Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kristin Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:43:11 -0600
I am writing a thesis paper for MA degree in Museum Studies, and would appreciate your input for my paper. Its focus is on how museum professionals can make museum websites universally accessible for everyone (across all software and hardware platforms), and especially for people with disabilities.

I did a survey on several listservs about three years ago, and got some stories/quotes which I included in the paper. Since technology and the Web has expanded/changed rapidly the last three years, I'd like to add a few more that are more up-to-date and turn it in December. The paper will have (hopefully) a bigger impact on the reader by hearing stories/quotes from us, people with disabilities (I'm deaf).

The questions are below. I would really appreciate hearing from you your thoughts, experiences, tips, etc.  I do not need information on how to make a site accessible as I have all that information - I just need some personal information from people with disabilities who do a lot (or alittle) browsing on the web. I will be happy to keep your name confidential if you wish.

Kristin (Schumacher) Johnson
Exhibit Development and Accessibility Associate, Derse Exhibits
Cooperstown Graduate Program in Museum Studies (with MA degree soon!)

What kind of a disability do you have?

Do you need to use adaptive (assistive) technology to gain access to your computer and the Web? If yes, what is the adaptive technology?

What are your biggest frustrations when browsing the Web (either in relation to your adaptive technology or in general - layout, information access, etc.)?

Have you browsed through museum websites? If so, do they provide enough information so that you can enjoy the contents, especially if you have difficulty or cannot physcially go to the museum? Would you want museums to provide as much information on a website as they do in their exhibits and programs on the floor so you can have a sort of an airmchair traveling experience? Why or why not?

If you are able to visit a museum, what kind of information would you like to know ahead of time so you are better prepared?

If visiting a museum, would you like a printable accessibility-related brochure from the museum's website that you can take along?

Anything else you would like to comment on about the museum websites?

Send your responses to [log in to unmask]
Thank you for completing this survey!